Me experience with aefw

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently noticed some acro losing tissue but still having pe. Some affected and others not. Nothing in tank changed and had no major swings, so I thought it may have been too much PO4 and or maybe my salt mix. I fragged a piece of the coral that was affected and found a couple flat worms. Here is what my dip buckets look like after the dip. Keep in mind I only have two colonies and a couple frags of acro...

8034CC3A-5B4F-4D31-AC41-5D4229165E12.jpeg 410F1D7A-ABAE-4F69-9427-C27864F11DFF.jpeg

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that man. I feel for you. It's good that you aren't heavily stocked. I hate to see this.

I wrote an article on my site about SPS quarantine, maybe you will find it useful for future acquisitions:

I don't have experience treating a tank with AEFW because I have been careful, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Good luck!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a lot of corals it might be easier to just remove all the corals wait two months and then restock

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that man. I feel for you. It's good that you aren't heavily stocked. I hate to see this.

I wrote an article on my site about SPS quarantine, maybe you will find it useful for future acquisitions:

I don't have experience treating a tank with AEFW because I have been careful, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Good luck!

thank you! Ya I don’t have a way to qt but literally missed a dip on one coral. Good thing I don’t have a heavy acro tank :/
[/QUOTE]
If you don’t have a lot of corals it might be easier to just remove all the corals wait two months and then restock

I will say I had to take some down. Have some stuff I really don’t want to get rid of. I plan to re dip every 7 days

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck
What dip u going to use?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is I read that they only mess with acro. Have a lot of other good stuff also.

E0EE8FD5-C269-430F-9F2B-6B91354F2901.jpeg

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got most of all acro colonies off rocks, dipped for 15 min in bayer. Will continue dipping every 7 days as well as start dosing woodworm tomorrow.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience here

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy i heard you have dealt with this in the past. Any advice?
I dealt with it back in 2011-2012 I think. What I did was pull all colonies from the display, kalk all leftover encrustment on the rock, made sure nothing of any acro left in the display, and then proceeded to dip them in Bayer every 7 days for 6-8 weeks. I superglued over any eggs I saw and also removed everything that wasn't flesh... no dead skeleton, plugs, or tiles.

Never saw them again. Wish you luck bud! You'll knock it out... its easy these days with Bayer and other ways to fight them. They aren't the tank killers they used to be.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll knock it out... its easy these days with Bayer and other ways to fight them. They aren't the tank killers they used to be.

Do you happen to have a link to the correct bayer to use? (Available online). I went to Home Depot earlier and couldn't find it

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dealt with it back in 2011-2012 I think. What I did was pull all colonies from the display, kalk all leftover encrustment on the rock, made sure nothing of any acro left in the display, and then proceeded to dip them in Bayer every 7 days for 6-8 weeks. I superglued over any eggs I saw and also removed everything that wasn't flesh... no dead skeleton, plugs, or tiles.

Never saw them again. Wish you luck bud! You'll knock it out... its easy these days with Bayer and other ways to fight them. They aren't the tank killers they used to be.

thanks T! I have some heavy encrusted areas that are dead now that I chipped away at the colony. Would you hit with kalk still? Does that just kill it? And you’re saying you got those out also?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks T! I have some heavy encrusted areas that are dead now that I chipped away at the colony. Would you hit with kalk still? Does that just kill it? And you’re saying you got those out also?
If the encrustment is dead already, no need to double kill unless it just makes you feel good inside.

Yes, kalk paste just kills it.

francesco.mancini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Melafix marine
50ml per gallon for 5 minutes
For me it’s a lot easier than Bayer bc the chemical won’t burn your hands and very effective u see worms falling off as soon as the frag goes into the mix.plus u won’t loose and inverts from the residue . when u get new corals don’t feel bad if you throw away encrusted frags. Frag as close to the bottom as possible and through away old plugs and encrustment a couple weeks of encrustment is not worth dealing with them in the future

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only Lowe's carries it in store now. Home Depot stopped carrying it.

Thanks! I wanted to test a colony or two that haven’t thrived in a few months, out of curiosity. Ordered a bottle.

Yeah, Home Depot probably stopped carrying it because it gives California to cancer.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with these before as well as the newish black slug like superbug. Aefw are a joke compared to them. Aefw generally are very susceptible to dipping in Bayer. You just need to dip all acro tissue in your system once a week for a month and you should be good. Each week also examine for eggs and remove. They only lay eggs around the base of the living tissue which will either be rock or dead coral skeleton depending on how much tissue recession you've had.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back