Measuring Salt (before adding to water) Accurately?

TinyChocobo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2016
Messages
711
Reaction score
351
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I get my water to temp and measure it on a scale to get exactly the volume I want. My scale isn't accurate enough for the amount of salt I'm using. (About 2.5 cups)

I don't like how much each scoop of my scooper can vary. I'm used to measuring additives for FW in grams but that scale doesn't read high enough.

Any suggestions on accurately measuring the salt I add so that I can be sure I end up with the exact same thing every time? I'll still be checking with a refractometer.

I just want to be as consistent as I can be.
 
What are you using for a scooper? If you use a regular 1/2 cup measuring cup it should be extremely accurate from one scoop to the next?
 
I've always just used a measuring cup, whether it's a 1 cup or a 6 cup.
Been doing it for more than 30 years.

I think you are trying to make a problem where there shouldn't be one.
 
I've always just used a measuring cup, whether it's a 1 cup or a 6 cup.
Been doing it for more than 30 years.

I think you are trying to make a problem where there shouldn't be one.
Well not exactly - I guess I'm just tired of scooping 5 times per 5 gallons and would prefer to be able to just pour it on the scale until it got to the appropriate value.

From the responses here I'm guessing being off by a few grams is a non-issue.
 
I always use a scale and never just scoop. I heat the water to the correct temp then add salt and always check the salinity with my digital refactor meter
 
I guess I've mixed so much over the years I just pour it in typically either just a 5g or 44g container. Usually I'm pretty close and quick check with hydrometer and final check with a refractometer after its mixed a while. Of course I don't remember the last time I used bucket salt though. Pretty much just bags of known quantity. The only time I ever scoop is adding small quantities of salt to my sump to tweak salinity from salt creep loss.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new