Mechanical siphon break options?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Near the end of the run, just before the 1/4" goes into the sump I added the 3/8" line and placed the 1/4" into it and have the 3/8" running to the sump. I changed pumps to an apex pmup and it works like a champ, no check valve needed.
Makes sense! After hours of searching someone just pointed this out to me:

So that’s an option too I guess. Couldn’t find that with any search terms I was using and I’ve done the search more than once. I’m using the pmup as well; dumbest name for a pump ever, but it has great head height!

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes sense! After hours of searching someone just pointed this out to me:

So that’s an option too I guess. Couldn’t find that with any search terms I was using and I’ve done the search more than once. I’m using the pmup as well; dumbest name for a pump ever, but it has great head height!
With a siphon break near the sump I found no use for a check valve. It's been working fine without it and doesn't hurt the pump.

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case folks are still looking for options, you could use a reversed check valve. I use one inside the RO reservoir, above the water line, teed off of the topoff line. When the pump is on, it pressurizes the topoff line and the check valve closes on one leg of the tee, the other leg of the tee feeds water to my sump. When the pump turns off, the check valve opens and allows air into the water supply line, breaking the siphon and filling the line with air.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case folks are still looking for options, you could use a reversed check valve. I use one inside the RO reservoir, above the water line, teed off of the topoff line. When the pump is on, it pressurizes the topoff line and the check valve closes on one leg of the tee, the other leg of the tee feeds water to my sump. When the pump turns off, the check valve opens and allows air into the water supply line, breaking the siphon and filling the line with air.
That’s a good idea! I guess you’d just have to make sure your check valve has an extremely low opening pressure though. Some require like 1 PSI or more. I might look into this as a backup siphon break.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back