Media reactor or nah???

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody experiment with the effectiveness of say a BRS GFO/carbon reactor vs. mesh bag in flow?
Building a system, wondering if it’s worth the extra effort and expense.
Thanks y’all!

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the reactor. Run carbon and gfo only if your phosphate is high.

I started gfo all the time and crashed my tank into the ground with dinos.
Thank you! It’s actually rowaphos I use, seems gentler? But also I test nearly ever day after I put it in to be sure I don’t do that.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use anything.
But after a year on an 8 year old tank with phos so high it wouldn't register, I used a BRS reactor with ME coral 4x GFO and in 2 months I was down to 03.
Ditched the reactor and got an Icecap algae scrubber and never looked back.
Should have started that way years ago.
Phos at .06,nitrate at 23. Both steady.
Really made a big difference.
I used Rowa in a canister filter before the reactor and it worked OK but not like the reactor. Those BRS ones are easy and cheap.
My 2 cents.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To answer OPs original question, reactor. Water flows around media bags in a sump. Media bags can also cause flow restrictions if forced in say a bubble trap, forget about a tank crash because you zero’s out. Your wife will call you a zero for flooding the house…

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use anything.
But after a year on an 8 year old tank with phos so high it wouldn't register, I used a BRS reactor with ME coral 4x GFO and in 2 months I was down to 03.
Ditched the reactor and got an Icecap algae scrubber and never looked back.
Should have started that way years ago.
Phos at .06,nitrate at 23. Both steady.
Really made a big difference.
I used Rowa in a canister filter before the reactor and it worked OK but not like the reactor. Those BRS ones are easy and cheap.
My 2 cents.
Interesting you say, I’m using a Sicce whale to power a pax bellum algae reactor and from time to time I use the baskets for media. It does seem to be more effective than just a bag in water, and it would appear a dedicated reactor works even better. Dig it.
I’d certainly go the BRS route, they so easy to use.

For a pump,
would y’all think or know a jebao DC return rated for 400 gph turned down to @ 100 would be suitable to push water through a small UV(rated for a little over 100 for parasitic effect, a small pax bellum algae scrubber rated for 200 max, and then a combo brs reactor with rows and their ROX hard carbon pellets?

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer OPs original question, reactor. Water flows around media bags in a sump. Media bags can also cause flow restrictions if forced in say a bubble trap, forget about a tank crash because you zero’s out. Your wife will call you a zero for flooding the house…

Agreed, have had flow concerns with the carbon and rowa bags in the flow.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you say, I’m using a Sicce whale to power a pax bellum algae reactor and from time to time I use the baskets for media. It does seem to be more effective than just a bag in water, and it would appear a dedicated reactor works even better. Dig it.
I’d certainly go the BRS route, they so easy to use.

For a pump,
would y’all think or know a jebao DC return rated for 400 gph turned down to @ 100 would be suitable to push water through a small UV(rated for a little over 100 for parasitic effect, a small pax bellum algae scrubber rated for 200 max, and then a combo brs reactor with rows and their ROX hard carbon pellets?
Yes would be bueno I used the same pump on my reactor as well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back