Media reactor questions

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
1,323
Reaction score
1,070
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a red sea reefer 250 (65 gallon system) and I'm having some GHA growth as well as a brown film algea.

I have a vertex omega 150 skimmer in the sump, use my filter socks, do 7-10 gallon weekly water changes, and have a bag of purigen floating around down there, I've also started dosing nopox.

Phosphates are undetected on the Hanna checker, nitrates come up as 0 with api kit. And I still have algea growing.

Not a huge deal but obviously I have nutrients in the water that need to be exported to some degree, my question is this: what's everyone's thoughts on the IM Midsized reactor? I don't have much room at all in the sump and this is probably the only thing I can fit in there (not even sure IF it'll fit)

Is this big enough for my tank?
What media should I put in there and why? (Carbon,gfo,bioballs, CPE, purigen...etc)?

Any other tips to cut algea growth? I lowered my photo period from 12 hours to 10 hours today.

Thanks for the help
 
The gha is on the rocks only?
Yes, but the rock it's one is one of the main support rocks for my scape, as well as its irritating my anemones somewhat. My kole tang and rabbit fish won't touch it either
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new