Media Reactors inline with return

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question as I am new to the sump setup situation for my new tank. Can I setup a media reactor on my return line after my return pump so that I can avoid another pump in my sump? I have a Max-E 260 with sump upgrade and am running a Octo Varios-4 pump. If I do it this way will I be affecting anything negatively? Also is a GFO/Carbon media reactor even necessary to run all the time? Thanks in advance for any advise.

U

User1

View Badges
Question as I am new to the sump setup situation for my new tank. Can I setup a media reactor on my return line after my return pump so that I can avoid another pump in my sump? I have a Max-E 260 with sump upgrade and am running a Octo Varios-4 pump. If I do it this way will I be affecting anything negatively? Also is a GFO/Carbon media reactor even necessary to run all the time? Thanks in advance for any advise.

So you want to tee off the return line and feed into a reactor? Yes, you can. Some would argue, or suggest rather (sorry, argue is bad term in this case), that this is a better set up to include routing to refugium as the water is clean and already filtered. By filter I mean there will be no debris mucking up your media or refugium while both can still do your work.

The only thing to note is that you have to factor in the tee and water routing when selecting a pump. But yes, you can. It makes a lot of sense. Personally, that is what I do.

OP
OP
Smcevoy

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you want to tee off the return line and feed into a reactor? Yes, you can. Some would argue, or suggest rather (sorry, argue is bad term in this case), that this is a better set up to include routing to refugium as the water is clean and already filtered. By filter I mean there will be no debris mucking up your media or refugium while both can still do your work.

The only thing to note is that you have to factor in the tee and water routing when selecting a pump. But yes, you can. It makes a lot of sense. Personally, that is what I do.
So I would need to put in a Tee and discharge elsewhere, or can I just splice in the return tubing and connect those ends to the input and output of the reactor? Resulting in putting the "clean" water back into the display tank(I do not have a refugium)?

U

User1

View Badges
So I would need to put in a Tee and discharge elsewhere, or can I just splice in the return tubing and connect those ends to the input and output of the reactor? Resulting in putting the "clean" water back into the display tank(I do not have a refugium)?

Refugium was just an example of something people tee return lines into. A bit difficult to describe but your pumps return line you can add a tee, ball or gate valve to control flow, and host to your media reactor. Media reactor dumps into the tank if in the sump or if external media return line dumps into the sump.

Similar thread below with a few pictures for reference. I've taken my reactor offline but in my case I used a tee off return. Then added a small ball valve to adjust flow or turn on/off. My media reactors sit in my sump so the water passed through the media and dumped right back into the sump area. Just depends on your setup, reactor location, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back