Running media reactor off the return pump vs separate pumps

morrisr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have first hand experience and recommendations for, or against, running media reactors, like a GFO/carbon reactor, through a manifold inline with the return pump versus using one pump for the return and a separate pump for any reactors?
Tahnks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have first hand experience and recommendations for, or against, running media reactors, like a GFO/carbon reactor, through a manifold inline with the return pump versus using one pump for the return and a separate pump for any reactors?
Tahnks!
I would not suggest it.
Reactors then to have smaller inlets and outlets, and that will restrict flow to your over all system.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all my reactors off the return pump. It works good and I have no complaints. It saves in the cost of multiple pumps but requires a little more plumbing. Also you have to account there will be a little less flow to the DT because the reactors are using some of that GPM. But it is working good for me

OP
OP
M

morrisr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on figuring the equivalent head height something like a chiller or a reactor would add to a return?

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too run my 3 reactors off my return pump. I have no issues with it. As stated before just make sure you get an over sized pump.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look up the GPM usage of your chiller and subtract that from your pump GPM, reactors are trickier since mine dont list a specific GPM

When I get home tonight i will test the flow through my BRS carbon/GFO just to give you a ballpark GPM

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thumbs up for running reactors off a return pump manifold. Now with the apex fmk you can have a great idea how much flow you are getting to your tank while running the reactors

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I considered it and passed. Obviously it works fine but a small pump for the reactors is so cheap that I decided it was easier than the plumbing effort. I think everything is a little more serviceable done separately..?

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all my reactors off the return pump. It works good and I have no complaints. It saves in the cost of multiple pumps but requires a little more plumbing. Also you have to account there will be a little less flow to the DT because the reactors are using some of that GPM. But it is working good for me

I agree.

Some one mentioned it's less service. Opossite IMHO. now you have to service another pump that feeds reactors.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
df72cce1ed2e2ac2b1bd2d2d3d311689.jpg

Planned for a manifold from the beginning of my current system. Works very well. I suggest that you use ball valves with unions, easier to clean down the road.

PS150 Panworld pumping upstairs to a 125 gallon DT.

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like this thread, so what size pump would I get to run 1 lifereef reactor and the refugium from it. the main pump will be a mag 12 and a shadow overflow with a 1 1/4 return line

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question, I,m getting ready to start the build. I have the lifereef system with the mag 12 return. the shadow overflow has 2x 2 1/2" holes in the tank to 1 1/4 in pvc to the sump

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much like running reactors off the return pump. Or it's 3 or 4 more cords and pumps I would need. My outlet space is precious to me! I also hate cord management.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a manifold vs individual pumps myself. I'm worried about extra heat added to the tank (In NJ, so summers can get warm) and I don't run nor do I plan on running a chiller. I agree with hart24601 on the outlet space. Sump space and noise is also a concern. If I need a closed loop reactor for something, I plan on adding it to the sump as needed. I suppose I could also build a manifold and feed it with a separate closed loop pump.

I've seen two main manifold types, inline and tee'ed in. Is there an advantage to one over the other?
While those are my current plans nothings built yet, so looking for any feedback.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a manifold vs individual pumps myself. I'm worried about extra heat added to the tank (In NJ, so summers can get warm) and I don't run nor do I plan on running a chiller. I agree with hart24601 on the outlet space. Sump space and noise is also a concern. If I need a closed loop reactor for something, I plan on adding it to the sump as needed. I suppose I could also build a manifold and feed it with a separate closed loop pump.

I've seen two main manifold types, inline and tee'ed in. Is there an advantage to one over the other?
While those are my current plans nothings built yet, so looking for any feedback.

You want your reactors etc tee'd off of the main return... which is the definition of a manifold. You don't want to run the reactors inline of the main return because that would be far too much flow for GFO, bio pellets, carbon etc. By teeing them off from the main return, you can add a valve before each reactor to control the amount of flow though them. Also, while you can use a ball valve to control the amount of flow, a gate valve is far superior. A ball valve is really designed for full flow or no flow... on or off. While a gate valve is designed to give finite control over the amount of flow going through it.

This is my return/manifold I made to fit in a very tight spot above a sump:

IMG_7661 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7613 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7618 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6030 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back