Medication and cross contamination.

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from using different equipment for each system coral qt/fish qt/dt how careful do you have to be about cross contamination between tanks.

I understand common sense prevails but how far do we have to take it?

Will a hand wash (no soap) cut it? Who knows what's under my finger nails :s
Will a rinse of something (non porous) that got splashed on be appropriate or is it forever contaminated?
Is a drop of water from a copper qt going to wipe a tank?
Is a cloth used on copper qt washable?

Let me know your thoughts me experiences.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is found in natural seawater, so a few drops here & there isn't going to harm your corals/inverts.

To avoid cross contamination you need to be paranoid about sharing equipment and also feeding apparatuses. Many times those get overlooked. You also need to maintain a 10-foot radius in-between all QTs and your DT: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aerosol-transmission.190292/

Whenever going from tank to tank, I always wash up to my elbows (using soap) and then let my hands dry thoroughly. However, being human skin is very porous using dedicated rubber gloves for each tank would probably be the safer option.

OP
OP
ViciousDlishus

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral qt, fish qt and water reservoir / mixing station all seperated by 10 ft. Display on another floor. Sink however is right beside the water reservoir and obviously waste water etc is splashed around. What's the thought on a airborne transmission or level of risk if lids are on my brutes?

I'm sure one could drive themselves crazy being too careful I'm just looking for the line between doing things right and more effort (worrying) than it's worth.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the thought on a airborne transmission or level of risk if lids are on my brutes?

Just make sure lids are on tight when splashing waste water in the sink and you should be fine. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back