medication question

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone give me advice on how to treat this tank, inhabitants are magenta dotty back, koran angel, 1 cinnamon clown,false toby puffer, scopus tang, bicolor foxface, 5 green chromie,1 smith damsel, 1 mud moray, 1 cannary blenny and 1 lawnmower blenny. had a ich outbreak, feeding a frozen angel cube, brine,krill,nori,zooplankton,newlifespectrum pellets and generic marine flakes. i picked up rally reef and am using it in unison with kick ich. it does not seem to be working, im about 5 days in and have lost one of my cinnamon clowns. i picked up sulfaplex,metroplex,focus,neaplex, should i cancel my rally kick ich treatment throw some carbon in and start dossing the water with the new meds, or continue rally and use the other meds on there food. i also bought a 15 watt aqua uv sterilizer im going to set up ina few days after treatment. any advice helps pls.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power / coppersafe at 2.5ppm with a hanna checker preferably in a QT for 30 days (display tank empty for 45) at 81 degrees. If there aren't inverts or corals in the display, you can use something like cupramine.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to remove current meds before dosing copper

cupramine cannot be used with UV.

coppersafe or power is easier on fish.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to remove current meds before dosing copper

cupramine cannot be used with UV.

coppersafe or power is easier on fish.
Can I dose this in my main tank? And no uv while using copper? What about carbon and skimmer?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose this in my main tank? And no uv while using copper? What about carbon and skimmer?
coppersafe and copper power is ok with uv. As long as you don’t have inverts or corals, then copper is fine.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you cannot dose any med with copper in a DT if you are ever going to have corals or invertebrates. Your best route is to go fallow and treat the fish in a hospital tank. Make sure you use an airstone and give them some PVC pipe to hide in. Also, suggest you purchase Hydroplex and give them a 10 minute saltwater dip to immediately kill the bugs on them.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us can’t afford to have more tanks. So for those, it’s perfectly fine to dose coppersafe or copper power directly into DT to save the fish knowing that inverts & corals can’t be in there. Especially for a tank size of the OP that’s on the small side (ie 15w UV), rocks & sand can be changed out in the future to host inverts & corals if the op desires. Dosing copper into the DT isn’t the end of the world. Not preferred but one that should be attempted to save the fish if QT isn’t an option.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us can’t afford to have more tanks. So for those, it’s perfectly fine to dose coppersafe or copper power directly into DT to save the fish knowing that inverts & corals can’t be in there. Especially for a tank size of the OP that’s on the small side (ie 15w UV), rocks & sand can be changed out in the future to host inverts & corals if the op desires. Dosing copper into the DT isn’t the end of the world. Not preferred but one that should be attempted to save the fish if QT isn’t an option.

To be fair, you don't need an actual fish tank to put the fish in. I've qt'd fish in a 25 gallon plastic bin from home depot.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think the tank is "on the small side"...

inhabitants are magenta dotty back, koran angel, 1 cinnamon clown,false toby puffer, scopus tang, bicolor foxface, 5 green chromie,1 smith damsel, 1 mud moray, 1 cannary blenny and 1 lawnmower blenny.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, you don't need an actual fish tank to put the fish in. I've qt'd fish in a 25 gallon plastic bin from home depot.
That’s true but I doubt he has the live media & the experience to QT them. QT isn’t easy after all. Plus tanks aren’t usually the expensive part especially Petco literally runs the dollar per gallon deal all the time now. It’s often the required space & he will need additional equipment, water, & other meds. Bottom line for me is…, if there was no QT to begin with, it’s unlikely to all of a sudden do that right to save fish that are already stressed and sick….

the OP posts this in the FOWLR page so that’s another thing to consider as well.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true but I doubt he has the live media & the experience to QT them. QT isn’t easy after all. Plus tanks aren’t usually the expensive part especially Petco literally runs the dollar per gallon deal all the time now. It’s often the required space & he will need additional equipment, water, & other meds. Bottom line for me is…, if there was no QT to begin with, it’s unlikely to all of a sudden do that right to save fish that are already stressed and sick….

the OP posts this in the FOWLR page so that’s another thing to consider as well.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tanks a 90 gallon with a 35 sump, the Koran angel and the fox face are baby’s we have a 300 gallon we are getting from a family member in two months. We found out what it was from a few friends in the hobby, internal parasites and ich. We are going to add poly pads strip the rally (worst med I’ve ever used on fish) and treat with metro and sulfa on food for three weeks and run the uv sterilizer, we just have to wait until it’s all out of the water before we run the uv. the metro already is working pretty well. my scopas looks better my Koran is eating well again and not breathing so heavily but my clowns did die. other than that everything is good, once again we are 100% getting this 300 gallon tank a family member is moving in two months and cannot move it across country so it’s free to us, and if for some reason it falls through I am 100% aware the fox face and Koran need to be rehomed which will happen basically immediately upon finding out said tank deal falls through. we are going to pick up two 40 gallon breeders and treat with copper in there before adding to the bigger tank but for the next two months we have to go down the management route not the eradication route, because there is no space for qt until we make room in our small apartment (basically trading our living room for this newer tank) which can’t just happen over night, and throwing these fish into a 25 gallon tote is not going to help our stress at all. thank you for your help I always welcome advice, this forum has helped me a few times I will update you all if anything more changes progresses gets better etc. thank you all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back