Meet the R2R Moderator Team!!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by revhtree, Sep 19, 2014.

1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I wanted to create a thread where our members could get to know the moderator team, or Team R2R, a little bit better. We are very blessed to have such a great team of hobbyists who have such a passion for the hobby as well as helping others and making R2R a great place to talk about aquariums! I appreciate all that they do and I know you do as well.

So please put your hands together and let's give our team a virtual hand clap of thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Tags:

2. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Carbon Doser Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

First Name:
    Brian

Why You chose your screen name:
    Because being in this hobby ya gotta be just a bit on the nutty side

Current Tank Specs:
    240g Softy-Fish Tank. 8'x2'x2'

Area of strength in the hobby:
    This would be the DIY part of the hobby, I love making things, its way cheaper to run em that way. If there is a way to do it outside of buyin new, Im trying it.

Favorite hobby outside reefing:
    I repair video games for a living, is there anything more fun than being able to play all video games for free?? Oh, and I like to golf.

I have an 11 year old lil girl that is spoiled to the hilt, the kid gets everything, so alot of my time goes into her.
    I'm 47 years old, and in the gym 3 days a week, and run up and down
    Thunderbird Conservation Mountain 3 days a week. Max bench would have been 430lbs, and I weigh 215, not a bad ratio for an old guy.

Oh, Married for 16 years this December.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  3. mike007

mike007 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus

First Name:mike

Why You chose your screen name: Love James Bond Movies

Current Tank Specs:100 gallon sps dominant

Area of strength in the hobby: Helping others with issues with their tanks. Spending all my money supporting vendors.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Golfing,scuba diving and watching sports.

InvertEnvy, skybears and 4FordFamily like this.
  4. spspirate

spspirate Tidepool Explorer Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Intoducing the mods to the members.

[​IMG]

First Name: Andy

Why You chose your screen name: I chose my screen name because I love small polyped stony corals (SPS) and like reading about the old days when pirates use to sale the seas.

Current Tank Specs: Reef Savvy custom 150 gallon, DYI stand, Custom AquaBox sump, ReefBrite Halide Hybrid for light, Deltec AP800 for skimmer, Reef Octopus DC 5500 for my return pump. Corals LPS and SPS.

Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/155148-spspirates-150-gallon-build.html

Area of strength in the hobby: Growing SPS and LPS corals.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Running, skateboarding and gardening.

How long have you been reef keeping: Obsessed since 2005

5. joshporksandwic

joshporksandwic Zoa addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor

First name: Josue (Joshua in spanish) Married 16 years with 3 kids 15,13,11
    Job: Copier Tech / Salesman
    [​IMG]
    Why you choose your name: High school name given by a friend after watching GIJoe parody pork chop sandwiches of kids burning kitchen (Yes I burned my parents kitchen after cooking lunch for my then GF now wife)
    Years in the Hobby: Since October 2011
    Current tank specs: 125g zoa dominated. 30g LPS nominated (Sons tank) 2x 48x24x8 frag tanks
    Tank Build: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/la...-joshporksandwic-220-zoa-dominated-build.html https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zoa-discussion-club-zoa/98197-zoa-dominated-125g.html
    Area of strength: Zoas and driving Rev crazy
    Favorite hobby outside reefing: Playing sports and video games with the family.

6. Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor

First Name(s):
    Mike, Terry
    Transparency ;)
    Current Tank Builds:
    How long have you been in the hobby:
    Since the mid-80's :tongue:
    SPS Corals, Fish care/quarantine/introduction, DIY, Large tank systems
    Mike - Vintage Audio Equipment
    Terry - Photography​

MnT.jpg

7. SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper Where's the mysis? Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award NJRC Member Article Contributor

[​IMG]

First Name: Krista

Why You chose your screen name: I have always been fascinated with seahorses.

Current Tank Specs: 55 gallon mixed reef, 40 gallon planted seahorse tank and a 4 gallon nano

Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/89592-journey-my-55-reef.html#post975621

Area of strength in the hobby: Seahorses, LPS care, and anemone care

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Pretty much anything that has to do with the outdoors

How long have you been reef keeping: Just about 5 years

8. ritter6788

ritter6788 Coral Fraud Private Eye Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:32 PM
  9. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Love The Fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus

[​IMG]

Brett

Why I chose my Screen name: Aquaph8, was created because I had some drug problems when I was younger and this hobby took the place of that lifestyle and gave me something productive and interesting to do during hard times. So I combined Aqua and fate and Ive been using it ever since.

Tank Info: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/60935-ph8s-225-build.html
    Been keeping tanks since May 2000.

Strengths: SPS corals, fish QT

Hobbies: Coaching little league and playing with my kids pretty much sums it up. I also enjoy animals, plants and just being outside. Love going to the zoo with the kids. Also like to work on cars when time permits.

10. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

First Name: Daniel

Why You chose your screen name: It's pretty much the username I use everywhere...easy to remember :)

Current Tank Specs: 180 Mixed Reef, 120 Anemone Tank, 14g BioCube frag tank

Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/109419-daniels-180g-mixed-reef.html & https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/me...propagation-120-a.html?highlight=daniel's+nem

Area of strength in the hobby: Basic hobby stuff...I'd say I'm intermediate in most areas...

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Traveling with my family, music, and reading

How long have you been reef keeping: A bit over 3 years

3.jpg

11. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

"evolved"
    Hunter Hammond

I used to have a Lancer Evolution, and I went by "evolved" on various auto forums prior to my stint in reefing.
    Current Tank Specs: DSA (Deep Sea Aquatics)
    190 gallons
    60"x27"x27"
    Drilled w/ 3/4" returns (x2), 1" drains (x3)
    Custom ordered options:
    Starphire on all three sides
    Overflow left of center (standard is dead center)
    Black on the back panel
    Black silicone.​
    Matching DSA stand
    Build Thread:
    Evolved's 190g DSA Reef: Wrasse Retreat
    Wrasses, of course. :)
    People have time and money for another hobby? ;)
    Cars, when I do have the time and money.
    How long have you been reef keeping:
    Addicted since January 2010.
    Anything else?:
    My occupation is as a Mechanical Engineer (turbine engines), and I spend a lot of time with my devoted partner and our dog (Thai Ridgeback).

1527789_650569785005199_1919620785_n.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    MapleReef, InvertEnvy, Dahni and 4 others like this.
  12. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

A Photo:

Randy Portrait.jpg
    First Name:

I actually go by my middle name, but my full name is Stephen Randy Holmes-Farley

Why You chose your screen name: I'll let you figure this one out.

Current Tank Specs: 120 gallon mixed tank, large blue gigantea carpet anemone with ocellaris clown trio is the highlight.

Details are here:
    https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...es-farley/172508-randys-tank-description.html

Area of strength in the hobby: chemistry and science in general

How long in the Hobby: 19 years, earlier with fresh; started with a tank planted with local water plants and lots of baby bullheads that I collected in a local stream in the early to mid 1970's. :)

Favorite hobby outside reefing: photography, reading science fiction (I even wrote a Sci Fi book, but haven't published it)

Anything else?: My wife and I started dating in 1977, married a few years later. Have two adopted daughters (14 and 17). Starting to go on college/conservatory visits with the older one, who is going to study classical saxophone. Currently have two beagles. Like to spend free time at our vacation home in Rockport, Massachusetts, across the street from the ocean. I'm a professional chemist and have worked in drug discovery for more than 20 years. I'm presently a consultant, with expertise in polymer therapeutics and biomaterials.

Randy Portrait.jpg

13. cdness

cdness 2006 - Present Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

A Photo: Attached... however it is a few months old as my son hadn't been born yet...
    First Name: Curtis
    Why You chose your screen name: It's my initials and last name...
    Current Tank Specs: 125G mixed reef. LED primary lighting with 2 T-5 supplemental lamps. DIY stand & canopy.
    Area of strength in the hobby: Lately I don't feel there is a strength, but I tend to focus on DIY, Disaster Preparedness, Captive Propagation, and Reefing on a Budget.
    Favorite hobby outside reefing: I have too many hobbies and collections: Costume building, working on cars, tinkering with electronics, fishing, boating, snowmobiling (but I sold my sled), photography, and many more.

What else would be cool to include? I like being involved with the science fiction and fantasy group in Fargo, ND. We plan a yearly convention called ValleyCon which is on it's 40th year this year. I run a hospitality room called the Star Wars Cantina as well which runs pretty much ALL NIGHT. Working with this convention has helped me learn the skills necessary to organize the Red River Reef and Reptile Expo which will be an annual event in Fargo, ND.

IMG_442266213225460.jpg

IMG_442266213225460.jpg

InvertEnvy, skybears and 4FordFamily like this.
  14. swannyson7

swannyson7 Moderator/Acro Aficianado R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award CTARS Member Moderator Emeritus

A Photo:
    [​IMG]

First Name: Scott

Why You chose your screen name: It was a name that my ISP had assigned to me for email about 20 years ago and I just went with it...

Current Tank Specs: Currently on hiatus, but my last tank was a 180g SPS dominant mixed reef.
    https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/43713-swannyson7s-180g-mixed-reef.html

Area of strength in the hobby: Jack of all trades, master of none.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Home brewing beer, hiking, carpentry.

15. Electrobes

Electrobes Well-Known Member R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus Article Contributor

[​IMG]

First Name: Christian Cavanagh

Why You chose your screen name: It's so old I don't even remember how I came up with it!

Current Tank Specs:

100G Half-Cylinder with Back-pack Overflow (Custom 1" thick Acrylic, Montipora Digitata Specific)
    40G (Next Reef) Sump
    15G Acrylic ATO
    Steel Stand with magnetic wood panels
    Apex Jr. with Temp and pH probes, plus EB8
    Reeflo Dart Hybrid Pump with two 1" Sea Swirls
    Custom Cone Skimmer Rated for actual stocked 200G tank
    Modded Tek Elite 6X39w T5HO (4 X B+ and 2 X P+)
    Kamoer Triple Doser (Vinegar, Calc, and Alk)
    Honeywell TurboForce HT-900 Fan and 500W Heating Element (Both on Apex)

Area of strength in the hobby: Consistency, Data collection, and Evidence-based Reefing.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Spending time with my wife and son.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

[​IMG]

Why you choose your name: My name is David and I go by "revhtree" which is a combo of my profession and last name! I am also known as just "rev" because I am a reverend/pastor at a local church here in my city.

Years in the Hobby: I have been in this hobby almost 11 years and have always had some sort of reef tank or another! I love all things ocean and reef related because it reminds me of the awesomeness of my creator!

Current tank specs: Currently I am downgraded to a 120g mixed reef. I have plans in the works for an 8 foot in the wall reef very soon! MUHAA MUHAA!

Tank Build: Here is my current tank build but it is desperate need of updating! Maybe soon! HA! https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/141224-revs-120g-reef.html

Area of strength in the hobby: I would have to say being a part of running this forum which is a place that helps the hobby as a whole grow, grow, grow!

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Outside of reefing I love spending time with my family, and watching Crimson Tide football!

I feel very blessed to be a part of this hobby and to be a part of the Reef2Reef community. My life has truly been enriched by the friends that I have met because of keeping the water filled glass boxes! Hope to see you all at local reef shows soon!

17. returnofsid

returnofsid Moderator Extrodinaire R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus

Michael

My screen name has a long and sorted story behind it...
    Years ago, when the internet was nothing much more than bulletin boards, I was a member of one of the first Java Script Discussion boards. It was based out of Australia. I went by the name of Sid. (Sydney sounded too girly and Syd was already taken.) Sydney, Australia. Many years later, I signed up for AOL. Well, anyone that's ever had AOL knows that you're required to have a user name. I decided to incorporate "Sid" and became known as SidandI. Sid became my imaginary friend. I blamed Sid for creating all kinds of trouble, on AOL chat rooms. Sid was most definitely a trouble maker. I, on the other hand, was very well behaved. Then, I left AOL for a period of time. When I "returned" to AOL, I became known as ReturnofSid. Sid continued his troublesome ways. The name has kind of stuck. Many of my close friends actually refer to me, in person, as Sid. Fortunately, I have left AOL long behind, for good.

I currently do not have a tank up and running. With my school schedule, my daughter's school and competitive dance schedule, with all the camping we enjoy during the summer, and hunting in the fall, I had to make a very difficult decision to break down all of my tanks. I just wasn't able to dedicate the time needed. Eventually, I'll get back into it, and come back strong!

Hmmmm, "Area of strength..." That's a tough one to nail down. I feel that I'm fairly strong in several aspects of our hobby, while also knowing that there's always more to learn.

My favorite hobby, outside of reefkeeping, would have to be multiple hobbies. Photography and Archery (3D target shooting and hunting)

Ahhh, I found a photo that includes me. Very few do. There's a reason that I'm rarely without a camera in my hands...This is from a trip last year, in which we drove from Spokane, WA to LA, California, then went on a 5 day cruise. Our daughter's (pictured with me) national's dance competition was held aboard that cruise ship.

[​IMG]

18. Rob.D

Rob.D Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award ETRC Member

A Photo: 005.jpg

First Name: Roberto

Why You chose your screen name: I've gone by Roberto most of my life but since moving to Knoxville from Miramar, Fl back in 2006, I realized it was much easier to have southerners call me Rob.

Current Tank Specs: Deep Blue Pro: 60 gallon rimless 48"x24"x12" and a Deep Blue Pro 7 gallon rimless cube 12"x12"x12"

Area of strength in the hobby: Acropora and Euphillia care.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: I spend most of my free time playing and watching football with my twin boys Twins Birthday 023.jpg

What else would be cool to include? I'd like to add a short bio: I am originally from Miramar/Hollywood Fl, as mentioned earlier I moved to Tn in 2006. I got interested in the hobby in 2009, along with Scuba Diving, I guess since moving to a land locked state I had to find some way to get the Ocean back in my life. I am a professional tile installer but hope to be able to retire from tile soon, my knees can't take much more. I attended Le Cordon Bleu Miami school of culinary arts in 2003/2004, I worked as Sous Chef back in Miami but went back to tile work since moving, my dream is to buy a food truck, I dearly miss cooking and sharing my love for food.

005.jpg

Twins Birthday 023.jpg

InvertEnvy, jsker and 4FordFamily like this.
  19. Sahin

Sahin Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

First Name:
    Sahin.

Why You chose your screen name?
    Couldn't think of anything cool; if I did it was already used, so I used my first name. Its the screen name I used when I joined ReefCentral around 13 years ago; any subsequent forum I join or have joined, I use the same screen name.

Current Tank Specs?
    47G SPS Reef with ATI LED Powermodule. I keep mainly Acropora. Its a sort of personal challenge; growing and getting the SPS coloured up and looking brilliant is what I strive for.

Area of strength in the hobby?
    I have what I consider good general reefkeeping knowledge; however my strength I think lies in
    Acropora care.

Favorite hobby outside reefing?
    Photography...in the past few years that has changed to aquarium photography due to a lack of free time; I have 3 children!
    :cry:

What else would be cool to include?
    I have a passion for reefkeeping and captive care of SPS corals. I also have a degree in Conservation Ecology, so having a science background has further increased my liking of the hobby.

I have a wife and 3 beautiful kids; my time is therefore spent on them and any spare time I have left is for the hobby.

Haha, wasnt expecting to post a photo of myself, but here goes:
    Sahin.jpg

Sahin.jpg

20. maroun.c

maroun.c Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor

_DSC4232.jpg

First Name: Maroun Chahine
    Why You chose your screen name: My name and family name initial :)
    Current Tank Specs: 400G DT with a basement Sump Cube and couple of frag tanks, total system volume 800g.
    Area of strength in the hobby: System Design, plumbing, electrical.
    Favorite hobby outside reefing: Photography
    What else would be cool to include? Born and living in Lebanon. Started my first Marine tank in 1998. Married to a very supportive wife and have two kids Joe and Julia 9&6 who just started their first FW tank. Studied Nuclear Medicine Imaging and work as Education and Application team Manager. Frequent traveler for the last 10 years which allowed me to meet many international reefers.

_DSC4232.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted