Mega Matrix From Planet Aquariums

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone have any experience with Planet Aquariums, particularly the Mega Matrix line ? Considering it for my 120 build.
Comes with tank, stand, canopy, etc.
only thing I’ve seen is their own YT videos on it.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any questions? I had them make me a rimmed cristalline series 105 with a modern stand. I can get you pics if you want. The tank is built like a tank and silicone is very clean.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get you pics tomorrow, from what I can see I'm happy with stand, it is still plastic wrapped because it is sitting in garage. Planet is local to me so I didn't have to deal with a lot of transit time and everyone around here sells planet setups

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Mega Matrix 150. The silicone gets a bit sloppy where it cant be seen. Built heavily. Glass has better
clarity than my Red Sea 450 did. Only front panel is Crystaline (low iron)
The stand is all wood. Has some over spray, runs in places that can't be seen (In cabinet). The outer finish is OK not great. Paint feels rough like over sprayed. Seems a bit hastily finished but is built well.

Same for the canopy, rough edges on wood cuts where cant be seen. Corner gussets wouldn't let glass tops open all the way.

External overflow is quiet when set up properly.

These are minor issues for a DIY person. The build bones are well done. Price is fair for a semi customizable, quick ship unit. It was packaged well and arrived in 5 days. Stand on top of tank crate all wrapped as 1. Make sure you have somebody to help get stand off tank so you can open and inspect. Takes about 15 minutes. Screwed on top.
For someone who doesn't tinker the Red Sea/Waterbox setups are more polished, complete. But I don't believe the materials used are of the same quality.

I would buy another.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I'm debating this and SCA, but the canopy on the SCA looks way too short for my application. Glad to hear it's a solid tank.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like my Mega Matrix 150. The silicone gets a bit sloppy where it cant be seen. Built heavily. Glass has better
clarity than my Red Sea 450 did. Only front panel is Crystaline (low iron)
The stand is all wood. Has some over spray, runs in places that can't be seen (In cabinet). The outer finish is OK not great. Paint feels rough like over sprayed. Seems a bit hastily finished but is built well.

Same for the canopy, rough edges on wood cuts where cant be seen. Corner gussets wouldn't let glass tops open all the way.

External overflow is quiet when set up properly.

These are minor issues for a DIY person. The build bones are well done. Price is fair for a semi customizable, quick ship unit. It was packaged well and arrived in 5 days. Stand on top of tank crate all wrapped as 1. Make sure you have somebody to help get stand off tank so you can open and inspect. Takes about 15 minutes. Screwed on top.
For someone who doesn't tinker the Red Sea/Waterbox setups are more polished, complete. But I don't believe the materials used are of the same quality.

I would buy another.

Would you mind posting up a few pictures? I'm actually thinking of going with the 150 and I am replacing a Red Sea tank.

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you were looking for something specific. I put a wall between the sump area and the electronics side.
Plenty of room with sump. I also spun sump around so socks were to the front. As you can see I didn't completely hard pipe. I used their Tideline overflow "kit" before the price almost doubled.

0302201012.jpg 0302201013.jpg 0614191235_HDR.jpg 0701191826.jpg 0701191826a.jpg 0701191826b.jpg

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks. How do you like the canopy ? Do you find you had enough room to mount your lights ?
It seems there's not a lot of builders that make a taller canopy because the main trend is to go with ceiling or tank mount solutions.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g Planet and it’s solid build quality. Would recommend! Love the glass euro bracing on sides rather than center brace. Seems well constructed. Heavy duty glass. I have a custom stand so can’t comment on that.

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the canopy clean look. I hate being blinded by lights when sitting in front of tank. You can see from pic I cut holes for Hydra 26. Put aluminum strips across back of lamp and dropped into holes. Even like this they are 10 inches from the water surface. The T5 retrofits are 8.5 from water. Top of canopy to water line is 11 inches.

It gets hot under there with the glass tops on, but not humid! I drilled 3 inch holes on top in addition to holes for the lights. I don't mind some light being cast onto ceiling. I also added Forester hatch stoppers to top between lights. When folding the heavy front back it doesn't go flat against where light is sitting and its easier to grab and close.

Canopy Hydra Top.jpg

vwvanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one, finally got it filled and mostly set up - tank is very clean looking but as stated needs some mods for set up to my standards - Not a turn key system but have changed every other turn key thing in the past - took me about a month to get it where it is today and still some tweaks - seams are not perfect

3E9963D2-6968-48CC-A21A-A0B566B38051.jpeg C182A608-1269-484A-95B8-C5D4A7850639.jpeg EB0FD3F6-E4CD-4A1A-9752-4ED71108015C.jpeg 17034E52-D503-4B87-A3FE-51A053681713.jpeg

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you guys get the overflow to be quiet? got mine running but i can hear the waterfall splashing in the weir section, the outer box and drains into sump are dead quiet. I know the big issue with the synergy overflow is that the outside box sits lower then tank which in turns causes my issue. i wanted to replace the overflow box before getting wet but losing my job left me with more important things to spend money on.

Last edited:

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does not bother the wife so i guess im ok with it for now. maybe ill get enkamat like everyone else suggested. down the road if i feel brave enough i might redo the box and get a different one that will work properly

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you guys get the overflow to be quiet? got mine running but i can hear the waterfall splashing in the weir section, the outer box and drains into sump are dead quiet. I know the big issue with the synergy overflow is that the outside box sits lower then tank which in turns causes my issue. i wanted to replace the overflow box before getting wet but losing my job left me with more important things to spend money on.
You will have to raise the level of the water in the outer box

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I am thinking about there 8'- 310 mega matrix for a fish only. anyone know if that can be Euro braced or does it need to be framed? I dont see that option on the web page. or is the Euro bracing custom work?

@Sdot that is a very beautiful setup!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back