OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been updating this week because I have been in Phoenix all week and just came home Friday. Today I got back at it. I did quite a bit today but not a lot that really shows.

last week I sanded the area around the bulkheads and added a smooth coat of paint s that they would seal up good.
Today I installed 3 ea. 2" bulkheads for drains. I will have 1 full open, 1 with gate valve and 1 for emergency overflow.
I also installed 4 ea. 3/4" bulkheads for returns. These are in the right side that is solid. I am also going to install some 3/4" bulkheads in the top rails pointing straight down to eliminate dead spots. I'm thinking 6 or 8 total.
I also moved a shelf tat was behind the tank that was in the way.
I added another coat of paint to the overflow box so it now has 3 coats I will still do 1 or 2 more before I consider it complete and ready to install.
I painted some of the top braces and added additional paint to the inside corners of the entire tank.
Started trimming off some the excess silicone that squeezed out when I installed the glass.
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

Tomorrow I will be starting the plumbing drain lines, More painting and maybe starting the plumbing for return lines.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after getting the basic drain lines in place I really needed to work on the sump area. The problem I was having is that the area is just too crowded and I am trying to decide between the Rubbermaid 100 gal and 150 gal stock tank. I would rather have the 150 gal. because with a tank this size if I loose power I'm just not sure 100 Gal. will do the job. But the 150 gal. basic footprint is a lot larger and I am cramped for space. So after a lot of deliberation I decided to make more space. I decided to move my sink and counter top over to allow more space for the sump. I also still need to paint the floor in this area as I was not able to paint this area when I did the rest of the floor because the old 225 gallon tank was in the way.
So turn off water and start cutting pipes. I also relocated the RODI because it was in the way.
IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

I also painted the wall behind the sink as that was long overdue. Sink water and drains hooked up and No leaks .
IMG_3726.JPG

That dirty foam on the floor is about the same size as the 100 gallon sump. The 150 will com all the way out to where the tape measure is at.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I purchased a Kreg pocket hole jig just for this build (but it will be ice to have) so that I could screw together the top braces. So today I started that process just to help reinforce the top perimeter.
IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

This is the first time I've used one and it really is a slick tool. I filled the holes with silicone after inserting the screws.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh 1 last thing today I put another coat of paint on the Overflow box and the bottom of the tank.

Next steps are.
1. Epoxy paint the floor under the sump.
2. Build walking platform behind the tank.
3. finish drain lines.
4. Start return plumbing.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you run some silicone or additional epoxy in those seams between the top braces? It seems essential since you've screwed them together and created small gaps that water can infiltrate. So glad you are detailing your efforts here so we can all learn from them! It's a great project.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you run some silicone or additional epoxy in those seams between the top braces? It seems essential since you've screwed them together and created small gaps that water can infiltrate. So glad you are detailing your efforts here so we can all learn from them! It's a great project.
Yes for sure. I am sealing up every little spot that water might get in. Last night I filled the screw holes and those seams with black silicone. I will get updated pictures tonight.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you use a pocket hole jig you wonder what you did before and can't remember. Great purchase of you are someone who builds things. My dad borrowed mine and I'm not sure I'm getting it back
I do a lot of woodworking. Now that I have it I don’t know how I ever got by without it. I am sure it will get a lot of use.

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through all 17 pages. Just an unbelievable build & I couldn't be more jealous lol. Outstanding job! Got my kreg jig about 10 years ago & don't think i've joined to pieces of wood together since without it lol

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do a lot tonight but figure as long as I get something done I'm closer to water.
I painted the floor where the sump will sit this was critical because I can't place the sump in position and finish drain lines without the floor being painted and I need the sump in place to determine exact location of the return pump so I can start the plumbing for the return lines.
First pic is the floor yesterday and second is tonight after painting. I am using the Rustoleum Garage floor Epoxy Paint for the floor. I had already painted most of the floor before I started this project but the old tank was originally in this area so I could not paint it at that time. I love this paint I have painted a couple of garage floors with it. It looks really professional and is very simple to apply.
IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the holes and that same joint after applying some silicone. Its not real pretty but no one but me will see it up on the top and my only real concern is to have ZERO water penetration and this tank to last a really long time. Looking at this picture there may be a tiny gap at the crew on the left. I will look into that and apply extra silicone if indeed it is a hole.
IMG_3730.JPG

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the holes and that same joint after applying some silicone. Its not real pretty but no one but me will see it up on the top and my only real concern is to have ZERO water penetration and this tank to last a really long time. Looking at this picture there may be a tiny gap at the crew on the left. I will look into that and apply extra silicone if indeed it is a hole.
IMG_3730.JPG
I think filling with Kreg hole plugs and Titebond3 would have worked too. Sand flush and use same paint as the rest.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back