Melanarus Wrasse questions

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get a Melanarus wrasse because they look epic and are relatively (allegedly) reef safe and don't get a ton of parasites. Before I pull trigger I wanted to ask the experts (this is a 60 gallon cube)

1) Will it fight with my McClosker Flasher - I read not in theory since they are different genus/species wrasse and relatively peaceful ones
2) Will it likely eat captive foods as I know they hunt for flatworms and nematodes but I have never seen any pests in my tank
3) My QT is Barebottom, will a tupperware full of sand be okay for a bed for it?

Thanks in advance

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 3 years old now and in a 120 lives with 3 tangs, 2 clowns, 2 anthias and 4 fairy and flashers and he gets along with all of them. Very mellow fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get a Melanarus wrasse because they look epic and are relatively (allegedly) reef safe and don't get a ton of parasites. Before I pull trigger I wanted to ask the experts (this is a 60 gallon cube)

1) Will it fight with my McClosker Flasher - I read not in theory since they are different genus/species wrasse and relatively peaceful ones
2) Will it likely eat captive foods as I know they hunt for flatworms and nematodes but I have never seen any pests in my tank
3) My QT is Barebottom, will a tupperware full of sand be okay for a bed for it?

Thanks in advance
1) Yes they feed off of live foods and actually this species is one of the best for this.
2) It should suffice just make sure the sand can cover the whole fish. And make sure it’s a large enough Tupperware so that it doesn’t damage the mouth.

also, what are the dimensions of the tank? A 60 sounds too small for this species. Ideally I’d give this species a 3’x2’ tank (4’ is better) due to their size.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 2 x 2 x 2 feet standard 60 gal cube. I saw 50 gal as minimum size on 3 different sites but I guess maybe they meant more a 3' x 18" x 15" or something like that. Anyone have good luck with one in a 60 g cube?

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really large one in a waterbox130. And he smoked a flasher and a fairy wrasses when I put them in. He’s probably as super male as it gets.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really large one in a waterbox130. And he smoked a flasher and a fairy wrasses when I put them in. He’s probably as super male as it gets.
Melanurus aren’t known for being a totally peaceful wrasse with other torpedo body shaped fish. They’re generally peaceful compared to some relatives but compared to other relatives like iridis and chrysus they can be rather mean.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it is one of those hit or miss depends on the individual fish type things that seems to be quite common like 'my coral beauty has never eaten my coral' or 'my bristletooth tang won't eat algae' but everyone elses mileage varies.. It does sound like the flasher being in there first is the right order of things if I did add a melanarus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it is one of those hit or miss depends on the individual fish type things that seems to be quite common like 'my coral beauty has never eaten my coral' or 'my bristletooth tang won't eat algae' but everyone elses mileage varies.. It does sound like the flasher being in there first is the right order of things if I did add a melanarus.
In a 60 cube, this is a bad move to have any flasher. These wrasses use a lot of swim room when displaying, they ideally need 4’ minimum for the smallest species which although some only get 3 inches, it’s still a need. These wrasses can risk spinal injuries and similar in small tanks from dashing into things. Fairies don’t go quite as mad when flashing however even then this is a tank where you’re only really able to keep 4 species of wrasse long term;
Pseusocheilinops ataenia
Wetmorella albofasciata
Wetmorella tanakai
Wetmorella nigropinnata

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that, that's my bad, I already have a McClosker male flasher in there and i think he is full grown, he eats very well and does swim a lot but I will not be adding any other wrasses to the tank. I did ask when I bought him if my set up was appropriate and it seems I got some bad advice, that was before I joined reef2reef and knew to ask on here.

Back