Melanurus or Hoeven's Wrasse?

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm researching the rest of my fish list and came upon the Melanurus Wrasse. To me, it reminds me of the Lunare Wrasse(bottom pic), but it is reef safe. I have seen them look fantastic like the one below and boring as the one in the Live Aquaria link. Does anybody have any experience with this fish? Any home pics? thanks, Dave
Melanurus or Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
150303marine_wrasse02.jpg

Live Aquaria
Lunare Wrasse
lunarewrasse.jpg

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish, I had one for a couple of years. It is a hardy semi-aggressive hungry wrasse. I dont recommend to house with shy eaters, this thing used to eat until its stomach distended more than an inch. Mine did not destroy my inverts either it definitely nipped at snails when exposed but I never had a problem with it actually readily killing anything. Awesome fish for the right tank.

PS: I also had a lunar and had a bad experience. Too aggressive and destructive.

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply. Do you know anything about the coloring? Live Aquaria's looks so different and faded compared to most of the others. I have seen a couple other pics that don't look real appealing either. My signature has my current fish, plus i want a mccocker's flasher, think they'll work ok? I have great filtration and a strong CUC so feeding heavy is not an issue...

As far as the lunare, i understand them as non-reefsafe, otherwise i would get one of them...

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beautiful fish! I had one and it looked just like the first pic. It needs to be fed a few times a day or else inverts are a snack for it. I lost a Fire shrimp, 5 Skunk Cleaners, Many peppermints and I don't know how many hermits and snails over the course of a year. :(

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coloration is by far one of the nicest for "reefsafe" wrasses in my opinion. That pic is accurate. Looks even nicer in person. I never had a problem with mine going after shrimp though, maybe peppermints but definitely did not harm my cleaner but im sure some are more docile than others.

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beautiful fish! I had one and it looked just like the first pic. It needs to be fed a few times a day or else inverts are a snack for it. I lost a Fire shrimp, 5 Skunk Cleaners, Many peppermints and I don't know how many hermits and snails over the course of a year. :(

seems it could be easy to confuse with a lunare, maybe that is what you got instead. Everybody else i have talked to has said there were no issues like yours...

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next to each other the Melanarus is much brighter and green/orange where as the lunar is green/pink and body is more drab on the lunar.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a small one. will try to snap a pic of it. i keep 4 halichoeres and no issues with them going after inverts...yet.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one that is in the LA link is a female that is why it looks dull like that... never had a problem with my inverts and the one i kept..i fed mine a few times a day u need a sand bottom and a top these will jump

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a small one. will try to snap a pic of it. i keep 4 halichoeres and no issues with them going after inverts...yet.
what other halichoeres? I have an H. chrysus also...

the one that is in the LA link is a female that is why it looks dull like that... never had a problem with my inverts and the one i kept..i fed mine a few times a day u need a sand bottom and a top these will jump
thanks, that is what i figured, either that or a juvenile which i guess can mean the same thing...

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanuras is a great addition IMHO. Great hunters and calm with other tankmates.

Lunares are friggin monsters.....I had one that ate feeder fish that I put in for my Groupers. Nuff said.

ThetaXi1176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels,

Detguy is right, the Live Aquaria link is to a female, they have the black spots the males don't and have different coloring.

I have a pair of them in my tank, great fish the male is more green/purple and the female is blue/orange. Both have been pretty good citizen, but a few years ago I had to get rid of one as it would harass most new additions, wrasses, tangs it didn't matter.

Good Luck.

JoeBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus Wrasse
I had one for about a week or two. I got it to eat flat worms which it did. It got along with my clowns and another wrasse I have just fine. I noticed a lump right below its dorsal fin and in about two days it was curled tight and breathing hard. I froze it. HTH

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will try to snap a pic of it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

the other h. wrasses i keep are a yellow, radiant, and tongan christmas. i also have a leopard wrasse in the tank. the christmas wrasse is definitely king of the bunch.

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the pics, any problems with them and your clams? i read it may eat small clams...

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back