Melanurus Substitute

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly building my fish inhabitants in the WB 180.5. Current residents are a (tiny) pair of occelaris and a Midas blenny. I have my next group on order to arrive Nov. 11 after quarantine. The plan is
Royal Gramma
Mccoskers flasher wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Azure damsel x3
So here is the problem. This tank is a barebottom. I had fully intended to incorporate a small sandbox for the melanurus, but am having trouble finding a suitable area..
Are there any non sand dwelling wrasse that rival the Beaty of the melanurus that will also help control potential pests such as flatworms?
Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any non sand dwelling wrasse that rival the Beaty of the melanurus that will also help control potential pests such as flatworms?
Thanks!

Yes, sixline and its relatives. Unfortunately, they are really aggressive towards other wrasses.

Halichoers, Coris, leopards are good pest eaters, but need sand. Fairies and flashers don't need sand, but they feed in the water column and won't eat pests.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the halichoeres Labridae variety, I love my h.chrysus. They have so much utility too that I'd consider them a must for a tank. They'll smoke any flatworms, red bugs, nuissance amphipods, etc. Probably the best of the pack in that regard.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the halichoeres Labridae variety, I love my h.chrysus. They have so much utility too that I'd consider them a must for a tank. They'll smoke any flatworms, red bugs, nuissance amphipods, etc. Probably the best of the pack in that regard.

OP doesn't have sand.

So here is the problem. This tank is a barebottom. I had fully intended to incorporate a small sandbox for the melanurus, but am having trouble finding a suitable area..

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of useing a lizard water bowl for the sand ? They can look like rock.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just going to have to incorporate the rock structure including the sand container (Redo the aquascape to include the sand bow) rather than add the sand container to the current aquascape.
minor distinction but this will really help incorporating the sand to the tank.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sixline and its relatives. Unfortunately, they are really aggressive towards other wrasses.

Halichoers, Coris, leopards are good pest eaters, but need sand. Fairies and flashers don't need sand, but they feed in the water column and won't eat pests.
6 lines are the spawn of satan

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe add sand around the base in a Tupperware container surrounded by rock
1603375785131.png

or where ever you like more

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back