Melanurus wrasse eating nori?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaron186
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aaron186

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2015
Messages
712
Reaction score
223
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that wrasses are carnivores. My melanurus wrasse and my coral beauty seem to eat as much of the nori I put into my tank as the Tangs and Foxface. Should I be concerned?
 
I was under the impression that wrasses are carnivores. My melanurus wrasse and my coral beauty seem to eat as much of the nori I put into my tank as the Tangs and Foxface. Should I be concerned?
Yeah both mine loves it as well. I consider it a bonus :) Good and varied diet is always beneficial!
 
I had 5 wrasses at one point. All of them ate nori.
 
This is a common misunderstanding of carnivores and herbivores. Many carnivores supplement with plants and all herbivores supplement with protein. Carnivores will look for fiber to help with digestion while herbivores need the amino acids they can only get from meat.

Carnivorism and herbivorism is more a guideline than a rule.
Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns
 
Last edited:
I was under the impression that wrasses are carnivores. My melanurus wrasse and my coral beauty seem to eat as much of the nori I put into my tank as the Tangs and Foxface. Should I be concerned?
My mel eats nori all the time
 
This is a common misunderstanding of carnivores and herbivores. Almost all carnivores supplement with plants and all herbivores supplement with protein. Carnivores will look for fiber to help with digestion while herbivores need the amino acids they can only get from meat.

Carnivorism and herbivorism is coming more a guideline than a rule.
Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns
Should I write an article on this? This is a very common misunderstanding of the animal world. Here are some examples:



 
Should I write an article on this? This is a very common misunderstanding of the animal world. Here are some examples:




Yes I think you should! I learn a lot about wrasses from reading your posts! Only got the mel really but just an article about wrasse in general since it seems very complex when researching as a noob to wrasse!
 
I don’t have a melanurus but I have 2 other halichoeres and a fairy and flasher. All 4 eat nori gladly, wrasses are little eating machines
 
If it’s editable a healthy wrasse will eat it and in larg quantities. Meat eaters need veggies too
 
I like some green beans with my medium rare rib eye.
 
All my carnivores eats greens also and all my herbivores eat meat also. Except my yellow tail damsel. I swear the only thing he eats is the excrement of all the other fish.
 
I was under the impression that wrasses are carnivores. My melanurus wrasse and my coral beauty seem to eat as much of the nori I put into my tank as the Tangs and Foxface. Should I be concerned?
Lol, wrasses being wrasses. Have a friend who's radiant wrasse eats nori fish flakes, also they have tangs that refuse to eat green nori, only red nori.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new