Melanurus Wrasse! Hardy fish?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

So I have a 60 gallon sitting fallow and it's been exactly two months. I had a case of the ich so I took my fish out to kill it. I'm being over run by digitate hydroids and I've been reading around that wrasse might be able to help ...

With that being said, I'm wondering if this fish is a hardy one and can withstand a possible ich break out? I'm hoping my ich is gone by now... but just in case it isn't I want to know f these might be as hardy as my azure damsel I had. That thing didn't get a single spec of ich while the other fish were infected...

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and no. They are definitely hard to get shipped and acclimated and eating. Once eating frozen, they can be ok. You need to stay fallow for at least 76 days to make sure the ich is gone. I would go a bit longer just to be safe.

A wrasse is probably not the best first addition.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hardy fish but I've never heard or read about them being good for hydroids. No fish is immune to ich, you need to complete your fallow to eliminate it so you don't lose anymore fish;)

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as being hardy they are. They can tolerate allot. if the tank has not been fishless for 76 days. It's still in there and you are going to risk giving it to any fish you put in there. I have also never heard of a malanarus eating those. Local fish store told me that they lose about 1 out of every 100 malanarus. They lose 1 in every 6 leapored wrasse. Just so you can see the difference

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll wait another 2-3 weeks then like you guys suggested. I've already waited 60 lol...

I read on a forum that someone's wrasse was nipping and killing his digitate hydroids, Maybe a rare case? :/

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on qt future fish purchases? I def recommend it so you won't have to go thru this again.

Yes most definitely. Planning to set one up very soon using my dt water and a few pieces of rock so there should be little to no cycle - im thinking a 10g should be enough?

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most definitely. Planning to set one up very soon using my dt water and a few pieces of rock so there should be little to no cycle - im thinking a 10g should be enough?

If I were in your situation.........
1. I wouldn't use anything from the DT in a QT tank.
2. I'd get 2 small tanks, 2 heaters, 2 HOB filter, 2 sets of PVC fittings.
3. Put fish through TTM, then 4 weeks observation before going into the DT. By that time (6 weeks from now) the DT should be clear and clean and hopefully so will anything that goes in there.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your situation.........
1. I wouldn't use anything from the DT in a QT tank.
2. I'd get 2 small tanks, 2 heaters, 2 HOB filter, 2 sets of PVC fittings.
3. Put fish through TTM, then 4 weeks observation before going into the DT. By that time (6 weeks from now) the DT should be clear and clean and hopefully so will anything that goes in there.

Good luck.

May I ask why for #1? I understand not putting things from QT to DT? Do you think I'll transfer the possible ich?

Also, what do you mean TTM?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually find melanarus to be very hardy.

Regarding qt if you don't treat this is a fish that is a perfect candidate as a carrier of parasites. They're often resistant to even the worst parasites (if healthy and the stars align) as I had one survive velvet for several months. That said, they carry diseases because simply observing in a qt may not yield any parasitic infection yet there often is.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back