Melanurus Wrasse Lockjaw?

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all- I made a post a few days ago discussing my Melanurus wrasse, and one thing I mentioned was his mouth. Ever since getting him and introducing him into his quarantine tank, his mouth had been open. I looked all over online and apparently this is called “lock jaw”, and stems from an injury? However he is still eating completely fine- his mouth just never closes. I’ve read that some people managed to close their wrasses mouth themselves, some heal over time, and some other things. What I would like to know is whether or not there is anything I can do or use to try to help his mouth heal? I feel bad for the dude, so if anyone had any ideas please let me know! Thank you!

4CBED398-3902-4A03-BC27-FC01B164B43E.png D9B452D3-266D-4163-8490-540DA2B7805B.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all- I made a post a few days ago discussing my Melanurus wrasse, and one thing I mentioned was his mouth. Ever since getting him and introducing him into his quarantine tank, his mouth had been open. I looked all over online and apparently this is called “lock jaw”, and stems from an injury? However he is still eating completely fine- his mouth just never closes. I’ve read that some people managed to close their wrasses mouth themselves, some heal over time, and some other things. What I would like to know is whether or not there is anything I can do or use to try to help his mouth heal? I feel bad for the dude, so if anyone had any ideas please let me know! Thank you!

4CBED398-3902-4A03-BC27-FC01B164B43E.png D9B452D3-266D-4163-8490-540DA2B7805B.png
Every so often a fish acquires this and often stems from fighting, stings from biting something or large food particle.
This is a condition that eaither self corrects or it does not and you will have to wait and see. In many cases, it Does self-correct
If it goes a while without food, you can try to force feed with food thru a pipette but fish is already under stress

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every so often a fish acquires this and often stems from fighting, stings from biting something or large food particle.
This is a condition that eaither self corrects or it does not and you will have to wait and see. In many cases, it Does self-correct
If it goes a while without food, you can try to force feed with food thru a pipette but fish is already under stress
How long do you think it would be until it corrects? That is, if it does.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How long do you think it would be until it corrects? That is, if it does.
Unfortunately there’s no time line but I’ve seen 4 day and 8 days

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there’s no time line but I’ve seen 4 day and 8 days
Hi, me again! Quick question!
I’ve seen some threads mention that epsom salt may help with swelling to encourage healing. Is this something I can try? Or is it better to avoid it?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, me again! Quick question!
I’ve seen some threads mention that epsom salt may help with swelling to encourage healing. Is this something I can try? Or is it better to avoid it?
Nope - Epsom salt is a known freshwater remedy and has no impact in marine as fish is already in a salt environment

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope - Epsom salt is a known freshwater remedy and has no impact in marine as fish is already in a salt environment
Another update on the dude. Still eating, in fact he seems incredibly well. Freaks out against the glass when it’s feeding time (which obviously I would prefer him not to do) and is an absolute pig. I just did a tank transfer and out of curiosity I held him out of the water in his net for a bit to inspect his mouth. In doing so I saw he was able to fully close his mouth. Could he be keeping his mouth open from stress of being in QT or something? I just found this pretty strange.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen halichoeres wrasses develop mouth abnormalities like this when kept for prolonged periods without sand. It occurs from them rubbing their mouth along the glass repeatedly. It's only a problem if it prevents them from eating which doesn't seem to be the case with yours so I would just consider it to be cosmetic.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen halichoeres wrasses develop mouth abnormalities like this when kept for prolonged periods without sand. It occurs from them rubbing their mouth along the glass repeatedly. It's only a problem if it prevents them from eating which doesn't seem to be the case with yours so I would just consider it to be cosmetic.
Do you think this is permanent then? Or once he is into a display tank with sand it will go back to normal?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this is permanent then? Or once he is into a display tank with sand it will go back to normal?
It may improve once he stops rubbing along the glass, but I haven't witnessed one have their mouth return to normal.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Another update on the dude. Still eating, in fact he seems incredibly well. Freaks out against the glass when it’s feeding time (which obviously I would prefer him not to do) and is an absolute pig. I just did a tank transfer and out of curiosity I held him out of the water in his net for a bit to inspect his mouth. In doing so I saw he was able to fully close his mouth. Could he be keeping his mouth open from stress of being in QT or something? I just found this pretty strange.
OK - Great. Like I said , with a few days it can correct. If its freaking out like that, lower light intensity a little and stand back at feedings

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally when there is gills flukes or Low oxygen but Lock-jaw is common with these guys so it sounds like corrected

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus looks like that quite often. His appetite is larger than his mouth! He also tends to try to smash larger chunks of food on the rocks. I think he either fills up his gullet to the point his mouth won't close or basically gets a fat lip banging on the rocks. Stupid fish!

Back