melanurus wrasse Question.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a Melanurus wrasse about 3 days ago. He’s a cool fish eats well and very active with one small problem. He hides in the sand bed when my daylights are on. I work overnights so my daylights run from 130-1030pm. During this time the wrasse is hiding in the sand bed even when I feed. I’m the morning he comes out and is active but once The daylights come on he hides. How can I adjust him so he’s out with all the other fish when the lights are on ?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him a few days. What you are describing is very typical behavior for a newly added Wrasse.
I have a Melanarus as well, and he is always front and center. Great fish. You will love him once he feels comfortable.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your light schedule do it is on when you want to enjoy the tank then leave it there. The wrasse will adjust.

Try to make sure the tank is dark in the mornings when it's light out but your lights are off.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both above posts are exactly right. Wrasses learn to adjust their schedule. This can be hurried along by feeding 15min before he buries. He will stay out longer for food.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both above posts are exactly right. Wrasses learn to adjust their schedule. This can be hurried along by feeding 15min before he buries. He will stay out longer for food.
Agree with this agreement!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing I can add that wasn't covered. He'll adjust and become a great addition to your tank, I love mine, very active.

Mine on his GSP hammock
VXCoJaql.jpg

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus is definitely on of my favorite fish. Plays very well with my two leopard wrasses and doesn't seem to bother any inverts including berghia nudibranchs, bandit crab, etc. Maybe when he's full size he'll start munching on inverts but I'd rather have the fish than the inverts :)

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday right after I posted this thread and adjusted The lighting so it’s a few hours earlier sure enough he came out. He comes out now when the day lights come one and cruises the tank all day picking at the rocks. Him and my stary blenny seems to have made friends as the blenny swims with him all over the tank. I don’t think my goby is happy as he hid in his burrow all day the first day the wrasse made his appearance

E65ECD3C-12B2-498B-B28F-7977E0509E2F.jpeg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's going well for the wrasse.

mps026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mel became a bully after a while. He s up early when the lights come on and in the sand before they go off. Super cool fish that eats like a hog just wish he was a bit nicer to new additions. Several of my fish are not seen till he hits the sand.

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love mine because he got rid of a planarian flatworm outbreak 2 years ago. He is always munching on the pods, etc and does very well with all the other fish in the tank except for the large Maroon clownfish pair. But then no one in the tank likes them since they breed constantly and are jerks about property.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have one and he/she has never hidden in the sand or rocks. Guess I got lucky. Beautiful fish btw.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus wrasses usually do alright with other wrasses, although some can be a little bossy. just use a social acclimation box to introduce new wrasses to established ones.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exquisite and a melanarus in a 75 gal tank together, they do fine. The mel chases the exquisite once in a while but it's no big deal. The exquisite was in the tank first.

Like others, my melanarus can be a bully. He left my firefish and royal gramma alone for the most part, but bullied the heck out of my mandarin for a day or two. I assume because they are food competitors.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back