Melfish’s Dymax IQ9 drop-off nano

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is the build thread for my nano drop-off tank. It’s a fun little tank, and I hope you have fun following it.

Strike-up date: 30 December 2021
The tank: Dymax IQ9
Volume: 48 litres (12-13 gallons)
Skimmer: stock standard
Sump media: stock standard, but swapped out the ceramic rings for established bio block things
Return pump: stock standard
Light: stock standard SpaceX
Rock: live from previous tank (MiniReef)
Sand: “

Why I set it up:
So, in 2020 I set up a 220 gallon tank. I’m absolutely loving it, but I’m being careful not to introduce any pests. I get so anxious about it that sometimes it feels like more stress than enjoyment.

I bought a pipe organ once that was absolutely bursting with hitch-hikers, from crabs to mysis to several types of starfish, various algae and sponges, aiptasia, tiny microorganisms, some of which I had never even seen before, and even a large fireworm (not so exciting).

I spent hours watching it, checking in often at night time when things were active. But I didn’t want it in my big tank. Too difficult & expensive to take care of the pests on that scale. Still, it was the most fascinating reefing experience I’ve had in years, and reminded me of why I love this hobby so much.

And so, I decided to start up an easy, fun, stress-free nano. No dipping, no quarantine. I want to see the inverts and the algae and the ‘pests’. Although it’s beautiful and still relatively immature, sometimes my big reef feels so sterile. I want something teeming with life. Where I can take risks.

Since most inverts are most active at night, I set up the nano on my bedside table so I could watch it before sleep.

B1AC7230-86B9-4111-8B34-F6114E5F3278.jpeg

OP
OP
melfish

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st January 2022

Livestock:
1x clown, I think a perc. She can move into the big tank when this space gets a bit cramped
1x gold ring cowry
1x tiny peppermint shrimp
2x yellow footed hermit crabs
1x tiny nassarius snail

Corals:
2x green leathers
1x toadstool leather
Green star polyps
Purple star polyps
Yellow zoanthids
Green palythoa

There are also some macroalgaes in there and heaps of inverts- bristle worms, amphipods, colonial hydroids (pretty green ones that don’t seem to spread quickly, but didn’t want to chance it in the big tank), spaghetti worms, sponges and filter feeders. I’m encouraging as much diversity as possible, counter to my approach in the big tank of carefully picking and choosing. It honestly feels very freeing ;Wacky

37DD2C24-3166-4E2F-83BB-6970C8E9DF12.jpeg
62EF5E3B-85CA-4939-B6EA-8E8B16093163.jpeg
657EF6AC-81B9-4ACF-ADBF-E1AF140F5CC5.jpeg

I have the SpaceX night light set to the lowest setting (5%)
579A0C76-44E1-460E-A4E5-75C813DD61F5.jpeg

5FAB16F8-EF65-44B5-BBCD-9F4BDDEBFC89.jpeg

OP
OP
melfish

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note, the leathers are just sitting where they fell. I’ve not found a place for them yet. One of them will be going in the big tank once I get the rest of my rockwork in.

All corals except the toadstool are left over from my now-retired MiniReef, as is the rock and sand, and bio blocks

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this. I'm in the process of getting everything I need to do a fairly similar concept, I want lots of hitchhikers (aside from aiptasia, just don't much care for that stuff). Please do keep this one updated with what you see

DropOffNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dymax IQ9 Drop Off tank 12 Gallon
Few Corals,nothing fancy

The tank is a bit challenging..I have had one set up for about 2 months now maybe ..I don't get into fancy powerheads so maybe this is the issue ...I find it difficult to get things circulated in the drop off area..I have a few corals nothing fancy but definitely it's a bit challenging..I would say if you want proper flow in this tank leave the livesand out...I couldn't do it though...If I don't have livesand I don't want it..

Last edited:

DropOffNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this. I'm in the process of getting everything I need to do a fairly similar concept, I want lots of hitchhikers (aside from aiptasia, just don't much care for that stuff). Please do keep this one updated with what you see
I have had Dymax IQ9 Drop Off 12 Gallon Tank for about 2 months..Definitely a bit challenging getting proper circulation for me..but I'm sure someone here with more experience would love it..

DropOffNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Dymax IQ9 Drop Off 12 Gallon Tank for about 2 months..Definitely a bit challenging getting proper circulation for me..but I'm sure someone here with more experience
Hi! This is the build thread for my nano drop-off tank. It’s a fun little tank, and I hope you have fun following it.

Strike-up date: 30 December 2021
The tank: Dymax IQ9
Volume: 48 litres (12-13 gallons)
Skimmer: stock standard
Sump media: stock standard, but swapped out the ceramic rings for established bio block things
Return pump: stock standard
Light: stock standard SpaceX
Rock: live from previous tank (MiniReef)
Sand: “

Why I set it up:
So, in 2020 I set up a 220 gallon tank. I’m absolutely loving it, but I’m being careful not to introduce any pests. I get so anxious about it that sometimes it feels like more stress than enjoyment.

I bought a pipe organ once that was absolutely bursting with hitch-hikers, from crabs to mysis to several types of starfish, various algae and sponges, aiptasia, tiny microorganisms, some of which I had never even seen before, and even a large fireworm (not so exciting).

I spent hours watching it, checking in often at night time when things were active. But I didn’t want it in my big tank. Too difficult & expensive to take care of the pests on that scale. Still, it was the most fascinating reefing experience I’ve had in years, and reminded me of why I love this hobby so much.

And so, I decided to start up an easy, fun, stress-free nano. No dipping, no quarantine. I want to see the inverts and the algae and the ‘pests’. Although it’s beautiful and still relatively immature, sometimes my big reef feels so sterile. I want something teeming with life. Where I can take risks.

Since most inverts are most active at night, I set up the nano on my bedside table so I could watch it before sleep.

B1AC7230-86B9-4111-8B34-F6114E5F3278.jpeg
I have the same tank ...a few corals also..Have you been able to get proper circulation in the drop off..If so what's your strategy? I added 2 cheap powerheads lol,nothing fancy but I think in order to get proper flow ya have to invest in a good powerhead ..

fishbeflippin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Dymax IQ9 last week!
What modifications have you guys done to this tank so far to make it better and more efficient?
My tank is currently cycling and ive ordered a small wavemaker to try and get some current down to the dropoff section of the tank

DropOffNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Dymax IQ9 last week!
What modifications have you guys done to this tank so far to make it better and more efficient?
My tank is currently cycling and ive ordered a small wavemaker to try and get some current down to the dropoff section of the tank
No one replies anymore ...I tried ..anyhow what modifications did you do to yours? Maybe post a pic of it. ..What do you have stocked in it so far ?...Interested in knowing what other people are doing with these tanks ..took me about 10 months to get mine where it's at today... .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back