Melting mushroom, too much or too little light?

blackmetaltea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458520003.755320.jpg

I have this purple ricordea mushroom. It's placed slightly high up in my tank, and I'm slightly confused because I have some of the same orange guys that are placed at the top of the tank, completely thriving. What could this be from? Is it too late for it to turn around from this?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458520118.459854.jpg

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic looks like a goner. Second pic looks good. Too much light imo. I have gotten a bunch off shrooms a month ago and thought the same thing. I have almost all my shrooms in high light and they thrive. But the new ones all melted away. Im sorry but it happens. It might be save able if you move it to very little light. Good luck.

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals tend to heal better in low light in my experience. It may be too late for that mushroom but can't hurt to bring it down to a corner for now. What kind of lights/intensity are you using? Was this mushroom a recent addition?

OP
OP
blackmetaltea

blackmetaltea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals tend to heal better in low light in my experience. It may be too late for that mushroom but can't hurt to bring it down to a corner for now. What kind of lights/intensity are you using? Was this mushroom a recent addition?

Pretty recent, I added it and the orange one a little over a month ago. It just started looking melty today. I was using a current marine led, just switched over to a Chinese black box this evening. It was already looking bleached before I did that, though.

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be getting shocked/burned transitioning to new lights. What intensity are you keeping your LEDs at? Mine ramp up to 60% and that's enough for all my mushrooms that I keep in the bottom corner of my tank

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you acclimate to the higher light? IF not, place Yuma on bottom of tank and let it recover. They're pretty tough. Good Luck!

OP
OP
blackmetaltea

blackmetaltea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised the lights up and lowered the intensity to minimum on both whites and blues. Hopefully this will help out.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back