Merediths 75g upgrade

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by melypr1985, Jun 2, 2015.

1. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mine is pretty cool, but he won't be getting to move in with the others in the big tank. He'll be going back to the store with me. My kid loves him, but I think he's over it now. Oh and I've had so many fuzzy dwarfs eat large frozen mysis. Sometimes it takes some time to get them to do it, but it's possible. :)

nanomania and Pugfishluv3 like this.

2. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

So is it ok to feed the fuzzy live wild caught sw fishes?

3. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'd be careful about that from a disease standpoint. You could potentially introduce diseases to the tank that your fish arn't able to combat against after being in your tank for so long. Just something to think about. It's actually safer -from this viewpoint- to only feed live things that are raised in freshwater (ghost shrimp) or have a source of live inverts that you KNOW were raised and bred in a system with NO fish in it. Otherwise, freezing the fish you want to feed before doing so is the safest way I can think of to know they arn't transmitting disease/parasites into your tank. That's just one small reason we like to convert to frozen as quickly as possible.

4. nanomania

I can feed mollies and guppies i can gutload them. Shrimps here in my country are very expensive as only ornamental shrimps available.

melypr1985 likes this.
  5. melypr1985

Yay!! I got my Cherry Corals order from the live sale! Had a little hickup with shipping but those guys are pretty darn awesome and got my corals to me in tip top shape. Of course they all got acclimated, dipped and went straight into the coral QT. They pack these things so well I think a truck could drive over them and they'd be fine.
    [​IMG]
    I tend to neglect the QT a little too much and the glass is covered in green, but everything inside is nice and pretty! I cleaned the glass after the picture here of course. lol
    [​IMG]
    Flower Power Zoas - will look better with more blues but still pretty awesome.
    [​IMG]
    Blue tipped Elegance -opened up right away. I hope I have better luck with this one than all the others I've tried.
    [​IMG]
    Far left zoas: Chemical Romance, Purple War Coral Favia, Green Frogspawn, Aussie Shock Favia and two mini zoa colonies
    [​IMG]
    Uber Orange Eye Lobo and Blue tipped Elegance
    [​IMG]
    Pink Setosa Monti
    [​IMG]
    FTS of the Coral QT. I wasn't afraid to add corals in now, even though I had others in there from the last sale. Mainly this is because I'm going to put them directly into the new display so these guys have to sit in here until that's done anyway. Should be plenty of time :)
    [​IMG]

6. Ljaus

Ljaus Valuable Member

Very nice!

melypr1985 likes this.
  7. Bronc

Bronc Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Congrats! Everything looks awesome!

melypr1985 likes this.
  8. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Nice assortment of corals Meredith. A couple of months ago I got one of those corals to the left of your frogspan. The thing is growing relatively fast and I may have to move it soon. Nice pieces, good luck

9. melypr1985

Thanks! You got a favia? I'll bet it's doing great in your tank!

10. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I think it is smiling so I assume it likes my tank.

[​IMG]

Brew12 and melypr1985 like this.
  11. melypr1985

Hollywood stunner... I have one of those too. Nice :D

cameronh likes this.
  12. cameronh

cameronh Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Mine died

13. melypr1985

Oh man... that sucks. Mine started to. I lost like 75% of it.

cameronh likes this.
  14. melypr1985

OK this is pretty cool. There's an angel who's name is pretty familiar..
    False Personifer Angelfish (Chaetodontoplus meredithi)
    [​IMG]

In other news, my tank still has aptasia. I'm really hoping to leave that behind when I do the upgrade. I keep going at it with the aptasia x, but they seem to just go away for a week then come back with more. I'm going to see if I can borrow the laser from work.

cameronh, Brew12 and Ljaus like this.
  15. cameronh

cameronh Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

I like to make them close up and put super glue all over them=) luckily I haven't had to do it in any of my tanks yet.

16. melypr1985

Yeah. a bunch of these are popping up in between some really nice zoas. I'm going to deal with it once and for all before they get moved over to the big tank. No luck and borrowing the laser from work. :(

17. Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair Renee R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Article Contributor

My 210g had rock that has been dry for years... literally, but just for fun I'll say two. Filled it up with water, nothing else added, then 3 months later..... APTASIA!

They are not of this world.....

Beautiful new additions.

Bronc and Ljaus like this.
  18. melypr1985

Dang. It really is frustrating to keep killing them with aptasia x only to have 3 more pop up where the just killed one was. I'm probably just going to dump all this rock on the store where we have an army of peppermint shrimp to eat them. Yeah... I like that.

Ljaus and Lionfish Lair like this.
  19. nanomania

Wow.. thts a beauty.. why are angels and butterflies non reef safe.. :(

20. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Most of them will eat coral.

Draft saved Draft deleted