Merediths 75g upgrade

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHHA My urchin's already picked up a couple of my poor snails it's pretty funny. I keep everything glued down so I'm hoping that he's not able to get them off. Plus he's a pretty small guy and doesn't seem to like to carry much (he picked up one of the pink zippers I fragged him then dropped it within a couple of minutes I think because it was too heavy :( ) I made him three different zoa frags to chose from so hopefully he'll like one of them. They're different types too in case he's picky with his zoas colors :p

I'm sure your tank will be fine. Just relax and enjoy your vacation!!!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you havent already seen the thread on it, my purple tang has flukes and everybody has ick. The flukes is the only thing obviously bothering any of them and thats only showing on the tang. Im going to go ahead and pull all the fish and go fallow. It sucks, but seems like the smart thing to do.
1443036090527.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Meredith. :confused:

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Meredith. :confused:

Thanks Tahoe. It's alright.. It's my own fault of course so I cant be surprised or angry about it. (angry at myself maybe) I'm lucky to have a good friend willing to loan me a 40 breeder for my Qt and let me run copper in it. He also laywayed a RODI unit for me. (gave it to me with the intention to pay him for it later) Now my problem is that the HOB filter I had ready and seeded doesn't fit on the tank! grr. I'll be going to Petco today to hopefully find one on clearance.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor tank. My poor fish. I put it back together but it will never be the same. A water change tomorrow for the dt, then one for the qt. I only got 6 of the 9 out. Going to try bottle traps for the last 3.
1443060621341.jpg
1443060630882.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i removed all the rock from my tank, AGAIN and got the rest of these fool fish out and into the qt. All the rock is back in and, well, it looks like crap. My sps are all faded and losing tissue. Im pretty sure its because i put prazi in my reef as a panick move. Now its pretty much a huge mess in there. The sock is there to help remove the cloudy poo stuff. It works just looks stupid while it does.
1443401482285.jpg
1443401490607.jpg

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when my tank is cloudy like that after I've rearranged things :( In my experience though once it's settled most things are fine (Ticked the $#*& off but alive) Its always such a bummer though because there's doesn't seem to be anything you can do while you wait (although I do like to reduce flow for a bit but I don't know if this actually helps but it makes me feel better) Also dunno how much you changed but the aquascape looks really nice. Lots of great tunnels for your soon to be healthy fish to swim through :D

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when my tank is cloudy like that after I've rearranged things :( In my experience though once it's settled most things are fine (Ticked the $#*& off but alive) Its always such a bummer though because there's doesn't seem to be anything you can do while you wait (although I do like to reduce flow for a bit but I don't know if this actually helps but it makes me feel better) Also dunno how much you changed but the aquascape looks really nice. Lots of great tunnels for your soon to be healthy fish to swim through :D

Acutally i tried to put it back the way i had it, though it's only about 10% of what it once was. I'm not happy with it, though it's nice to know somebody likes it. :) I'm having other issues right now because i put the prazi directly in my tank so i'm dealing with that now too. At least i have 72 + days to get it back to normal.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow.

I have found the easiest way to catch fish in a tank with rocks is lower the water level as much as possible and use clear plastic containers. It's a lot simpler to drain the water into a large plastic trash can, dig a depression in the sand and all the fish end up in that depression with no where to go. I know a lot of good that does you now. :(

Your QT looks fabulous though.

The tank will back in shape for the Holidays though.:) And you have time to mess with it and buy corals once the chemistry settles down.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow.

I have found the easiest way to catch fish in a tank with rocks is lower the water level as much as possible and use clear plastic containers. It's a lot simpler to drain the water into a large plastic trash can, dig a depression in the sand and all the fish end up in that depression with no where to go. I know a lot of good that does you now. :(

Your QT looks fabulous though.

The tank will back in shape for the Holidays though.:) And you have time to mess with it and buy corals once the chemistry settles down.

Thanks.. i did drain a good portion of the water, but that angel, wrasse and firefish were a huge pain. Even with all the rock out that angel was a devil to catch! I hope i never have to do this again, but i'll keep that trick in mind for next time. I'll be doing water changes and running carbon on the DT today.

Thank you for checking in! Your right. I'll have plenty of time to get it back in shape. :)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update. All the fish are still alive and seem to be adjusting to the copper well. I'm ramping it up slowly so i dont hurt the angel and wrasse. I have coffee mugs in the qt for them and it's really neat to see them each pick a cup to sleep in. Well, the wrasse sleeps in his "sand box" and the clowns just hover around each other. It's still cool. I'm weird i like that kind of small stuff.

The tank is crystal clear and seems to be doing better. I figured out that the Fritz Pro salt is mixing at a really high Alk (11dkh) and a Mag of 1640. So this could be one source of my coral issues. I'm not sure what to do to it to make it better to use. I can't replace my bucket of salt at the moment so I'm just going to make due with what i have for a bit. I probably wont need to do much of a water change on my DT without all the fish in there. That will give the corals time to use up the excess i guess.

One more thing. I'm thinking that after the copper treatment I'm going to get rid of the coral nipping angel and get a black cap basslet. Would it be more prudent to get this basslet now and run him through the copper as well? or wait and run him through his own treatment of it?

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds adorable with the mugs and sand box (would love to see pictures if that's not too much of a hassel). I don't have any experience qt fish (we use tank transfer method with all new fish) but personally I would get the basslet now while I already had qt tank up and running s0 I didn't have to keep it running any longer then necessary.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! No problem. Its a 40 breeder.
1443631747194.jpg
The sand box is behing the left most mug and is just a platic container with a little sand drom my DT. One of the mugs is from sea world lol. My kind of humor. The filter is in back and ran by an air pump. I soaked the sponge in a container of tank water and an entire bottle of live bacteria before putting it all together and adding fish.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of mugs, really clever. We always just used pvc pipe and its always so boring lol

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of mugs, really clever. We always just used pvc pipe and its always so boring lol

Thanks. I wasn't really trying to be clever or different. My husband told me i couldn't go buy pvc elbows just for the fish to hide in and to use what i could find around the house. (he was pretty ticked at the bill when i finally got all the meds and equipment together at this point)

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, this hobby can get really expensive really fast in an emergency situation. At least you found a really awesome and free solution to the problem :)

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but wouldn't the glaze from the mugs come off in the water? I wonder if it is toxic?

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome idea but lets get it confirmed. Don't worry but I know they are glazed so just making sure your ok.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome idea but lets get it confirmed. Don't worry but I know they are glazed so just making sure your ok.

They definitely are glazed. I'll do some research and see if it will be a problem. I'm glad you brought it up for me too! Thanks :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back