OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, how many tangs do you have? I have a yellow which is similar to the purple of course i would like to add a bristletooth and a powder blue or brown after upgrading

I have two (the purple and the kole) and really my tank is just on the very edge of being enough room for them. I wouldn't add any more tangs to my 75, but that's me. I would say to be careful adding a powder blue or brown. they can be extremely aggressive and really need a bigger tank. They are also very prone to ick so strict QT is a must with them. Just my 2cents about that.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just read through your entire thread, great job on the build! I bought my 75 used and went through the whole drilling process, it's very nerve wracking. So sorry about the Ich outbreak, what a nightmare! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your livestock back in your tank! Good luck!!!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just read through your entire thread, great job on the build! I bought my 75 used and went through the whole drilling process, it's very nerve wracking. So sorry about the Ich outbreak, what a nightmare! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your livestock back in your tank! Good luck!!!

Thanks for reading! :) I did the best i could with my budget, so I'm glad somebody appreciates it as much as me. The ick sucks but it was a lesson well learned. Now I have a large QT and I know more about parasites and infections so that i can be more prepared next time.

You know what? I'm really looking forward to seeing them back in the tank too. That will be a great day... but it's about 47 days away. lol

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Meredith, I also just read thru your entire thread. What a journey but I am happy that the coral are coloring up and growing and that the fish will be back in the display soon.
I have been reefing for a long time, (I used to work in a lfs) and i never heard of the coffee mug trick so that was good to learn.
I have seen folks use barbless hooks to catch stubborn fish too. I never tried it but I guess it works.
Anyway, I love your tank. Great story!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Meredith, I also just read thru your entire thread. What a journey but I am happy that the coral are coloring up and growing and that the fish will be back in the display soon.
I have been reefing for a long time, (I used to work in a lfs) and i never heard of the coffee mug trick so that was good to learn.
I have seen folks use barbless hooks to catch stubborn fish too. I never tried it but I guess it works.
Anyway, I love your tank. Great story!

Thanks Dawn! So nice of you to say. :D

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. The fish are all doing well except for my kole tang. I think i messed up the first time around with the Prazi treatment. It sure looked like he was getting eaten up by a couple flatworms, so i'm doing the prazi again. I've done my 30 days of copper so I"m stripping that out now and will do a couple water changes before doing another round of prazi.

The corals are all getting better and better. I'm more and more convinced that the Fritz Pro salt was the culprit. Maybe the prazipro in the Dt was a part of it, but really it doesn't matter. Both are gone and my corals are pretty again. I even felt comfortable getting new ones today! No pictures yet because i just put them in the tank and they arn't open. Spoiler! One is my first acro! YAY! There are 3 new ones today. The Acro, cinnamon polyps and a pink zoa.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new additions! Best of luck with them. Glad to hear things are on the upswing for you and your tank! Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new additions.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new additions! Best of luck with them. Glad to hear things are on the upswing for you and your tank! Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new additions.

Thanks! As soon as they open up I'll get some pictures.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best ive got. The cinnamon palys arnt happy just yet.
1446326918132.jpg
1446326949163.jpg
1446326958622.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did have a ton of fun! We went when they opened hoping to avoid crowds... wellllll there were about a million kids his age there screaming and running in circles around the 4 parents that were there to watch them. Crazy! Still had fun though.

Those penguins were neat! We had a hard time catching a picture of just Jacob and the swimming penguin with all the kids pushing for a look.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did get something for my tank today. Didnt pay a dime ;) Im waiting on the wires needed for the controller still. I have the controller though. Pretty excited about it. Im planning on building an AIO frag tank out of my broken 75 that i started out with. So this light will go over that.
1446680850109.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated shots of the tank. I pretty much have things settled. There's still a few pieces that need to find a better spot though, like my blasto that was apparently killing part of this orange coral (thought it was a lepto but that's not correct after all). New picture of my favia that has that enormous polyp that is splitting into like 8 polyps. It's working hard to be bigger :D As usual the color sucks in all my pictures, sorry about that.
SAM_0581.JPG
SAM_0583.JPG
SAM_0586.JPG
SAM_0595.JPG
SAM_0597.JPG

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated shots of the tank. I pretty much have things settled. There's still a few pieces that need to find a better spot though, like my blasto that was apparently killing part of this orange coral (thought it was a lepto but that's not correct after all). New picture of my favia that has that enormous polyp that is splitting into like 8 polyps. It's working hard to be bigger :D As usual the color sucks in all my pictures, sorry about that.
SAM_0581.JPG
SAM_0583.JPG
SAM_0586.JPG
SAM_0595.JPG
SAM_0597.JPG
Is that fire and ice growing onto the montipora?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that fire and ice growing onto the montipora?

Actually i think the monti is growing into and over the fire and ice. I put them waaayyy too close together and now they are battling it out for space.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i think the monti is growing into and over the fire and ice. I put them waaayyy too close together and now they are battling it out for space.
Well it's kinda cool looking lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 77.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back