Mesenterial filaments for feeding, combat, both?

Turkey head

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
345
Reaction score
236
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this coral for probably a year and a half. It just recently started showing a different feeding response. It appears to be putting out Mesenterial filaments from all over the place. I do have some new corals acclimating sort of nearby. I can’t remember if the coral started doing it before the new ones or not. It appears to be doing it when I broadcast feed to target feed reef chili type foods. What do you think? Corals too close, feeding?
D3BE22E4-D169-4EBB-9076-1D512ECFEC77.jpeg
FFB0BD6F-4168-4CBF-AC09-04AF8A1DDAEF.jpeg
DADAFF24-D79F-49A3-8979-A765D60BAB38.jpeg
1F63CCFC-6FC0-4365-BD2B-85FE38705391.jpeg
 
They really only use it as defense mechanism. Never seen corals use it as a feeding response
 
Just a follow up. It had the filaments out this morning. I made some room and put it on the other side of the tank and left the space between the other two corals. With the flow of the tank I’m concerned that the sweepers on the maze brain may be longer than expected. I’ve never seen the sweepers out but there was no feeding this morning so I have to assume that it is in defense. I’ll update the out outcome for potential help to others.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new