Mesh, Glass, or No top?

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading on what would be best for my reef and can't decide on the best course, currently have a glass top over the DT with the sump open with a mesh as the air conditioner is constantly throwing kitty hairs into my tank up top. So the question is should I stick with the glass top with the usual weekly cleaning for salt creep, swap to a mesh top so more light penetrates, or go lidless (prob not the best option though). The glass definitely cuts back on the evaporation and helps with heat loss since I keep the house at 71/72F and the reef is kept at 76/77F.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use glass to reduce water evap, which it does a lot. Depends on your goal. I have to turn my light up a bit. Big deal. Water = money.

t.little

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading on what would be best for my reef and can't decide on the best course, currently have a glass top over the DT with the sump open with a mesh as the air conditioner is constantly throwing kitty hairs into my tank up top. So the question is should I stick with the glass top with the usual weekly cleaning for salt creep, swap to a mesh top so more light penetrates, or go lidless (prob not the best option though). The glass definitely cuts back on the evaporation and helps with heat loss since I keep the house at 71/72F and the reef is kept at 76/77F.
My new Top Lids mesh lid.
AEA187DA-CA1E-4907-8928-1F8B2A9EF1F0.jpeg

Phistergosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mesh works well to keep fish and snails in. depending on the size of your lid, it can be annoying to remove to feed the fish. doesnt block much light.

i had glass lids. the water condenses and splashes so it blocks light. they get scale on them that you need a razor blade to remove. i was wiping them down every few days. became a chore.

i would vote for no top. if you have jumpers, get mesh

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mesh works well to keep fish and snails in. depending on the size of your lid, it can be annoying to remove to feed the fish. doesnt block much light.

i had glass lids. the water condenses and splashes so it blocks light. they get scale on them that you need a razor blade to remove. i was wiping them down every few days. became a chore.

i would vote for no top. if you have jumpers, get mesh
No jumpers just a couple snails that like to escape, and ya i have a glass top for splash currently and cleaning every few days is a chore and it doesnt fully fit on the 40 since i have my hob equipment

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sesh all the way!!! Used glass and had to clean it all the time. Also a hassle to lift and watch for it not to fall. Yes mesh will evaporate water faster than glass but at the same time you get full light par penetration while you have to compensate for that with glass top.

It also look clean!!!

Attachments

• 16313104044795337518775336713355.jpg
    16313104044795337518775336713355.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 100

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just as many fish jump through the mesh on my older small tanks than without, so I’ve just opted for no lid on my new system, which is 3x larger and much deeper.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don’t run any top on any of my tanks but if I were to vote I would say mesh. It provides protection but still allows your tank to breathe.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks, 1 with no top and 1 with glass. I really like the no top look and I find it much easier to do maintenance in than my tank with a top. However I like no jumping and the lower evaporation rate.

I would never put a cover on a rimless tank. It looks uglier than sin IMO. I would also emphasize that I have had no jumpers in my rimless open top tank in over 5 years. I did have jumpers previous to this but have since learned that some fish just like to jump and they really aren't my favorites. As long as I don't include fish taxa known for jumping then I have no issues going open top.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few different types. I tried multiple piece acrylic top - don't do that it warps. I had glass, but didn't like the condensation and salt creep. Then went with one of the expensive custom polycarbonate tops. The particular company I went with was no bueno, but even if the lid didn't break, I found the top to be extremely limiting (you're stuck with the cutouts) and heavy/saggy.

I currently have a DIY top that I actually like the look of MUCH better. Even though it's rimless, you can buy clips to have the rails sit low. The black rails actually match the black silicone very nicely. You can also buy cut-outs for cords and lights and if you ever change your mind, it's a very easy change. I heard some people are using black colored mesh - I'm going to try that on my next one. (Please excuse the dirty glass. I haven't cleaned it yet today)

PXL_20210911_162110748.jpg

PXL_20210902_170953623.jpg

sslater0679

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few different types. I tried multiple piece acrylic top - don't do that it warps. I had glass, but didn't like the condensation and salt creep. Then went with one of the expensive custom polycarbonate tops. The particular company I went with was no bueno, but even if the lid didn't break, I found the top to be extremely limiting (you're stuck with the cutouts) and heavy/saggy.

I currently have a DIY top that I actually like the look of MUCH better. Even though it's rimless, you can buy clips to have the rails sit low. The black rails actually match the black silicone very nicely. You can also buy cut-outs for cords and lights and if you ever change your mind, it's a very easy change. I heard some people are using black colored mesh - I'm going to try that on my next one. (Please excuse the dirty glass. I haven't cleaned it yet today)

PXL_20210911_162110748.jpg

PXL_20210902_170953623.jpg
Did you buy one of those diy kits. If so which one was it. I’m thinking about doing a diy myself.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a straight forward rectangle, I would spend the little extra and go with innovative marine. The rails are thicker and sturdier.

Link to amazon: https://amzn.to/3E97Pf6
1631382173758.png

If you have a lot of cords, AFS, lighting mounts, etc, then you need to buy several smaller kits and get creative. Red Sea kits have more corners and pieces you can buy separately to accommodate overflows, etc, but like everything else, their corner pieces are proprietary to their rails and it's way too expensive IMO. I also don't like their clip design.

Third option is going online and searching for 3D printed corners (lots of ppl design them, including myself): https://www.splashengineering.com/product/diy-aquarium-cover/ These fit the standard rails that you can buy at homedepot/lowes for your windows and doors. This is the best way IMO for reasons I mentioned before: lightweight, cheapest, most modular/adaptive. Because I'm a little obsessive with perfection, I suggest spray painting the rails black also. For some reason, these only come in dark bronze or white

1631382665694.png

Long winded, but I hope it helps. I learned everything the hard way. ;Wacky

Back