Mesh lid solutions for Fluval Evo 13.5?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all of the upgrades available for this extremely popular aquarium, I'm surprised there aren't more off-the-shelf options for mesh/net lids. I'm removing the stock lid to upgrade the light and I'd like to discourage carpet surfers, but I can't seem to find a good solution.

I've seen the DIY options and that's the way I'm leaning given other options, but my workmanship will leave a lot to be desired aesthetically (rough cuts, etc. - I'm not particularly handy) and I'm a bit lazy. There are several companies and people who do "custom" lids, but they take months to build (I can deal with $100ish, but 60+ days is a lot to wait). Has anyone here removed the stock lid and replaced it with a mesh lid that didn't either require craftsman skills or months of waiting? I feel like I've exhausted my search options (Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, local club marketplace threads, etc.).

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a EVO 13.2. I used the Red Sea DIY kit which works great. Planning on adding the Neat feeding portal(See 2nd picture below). If you need help building one and are willing to pay me a few bucks. I’ll be happy to make one for you. I love DIY projects. Just PM if interested.

97A14BE4-6AF0-4129-A63A-6F15961CBA0B.jpeg

CD096DFD-649F-4FEA-96E3-1B9D39743A60.jpeg

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These and a DIY mesh screen kit would have a clean look.

No exp with Kracken Reef, but Kraken Reef is showing 2 - 4 weeks for production lead times.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you want to really, really enjoy your tank for a long time to come, and aren’t planning an immediate upgrade, treat yourself to a custom lid. Until it comes (6 weeks?), get a piece of egg crate from Lowe’s and snap it off to rough dimensions, as a temporary measure. :)

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a EVO 13.2. I used the Red Sea DIY kit which works great. Planning on adding the Neat feeding portal(See 2nd picture below). If you need help building one and are willing to pay me a few bucks. I’ll be happy to make one for you. I love DIY projects. Just PM if interested.

That looks great! And thanks for the offer - I'll definitely PM you if I want to go that route.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These and a DIY mesh screen kit would have a clean look.

No exp with Kracken Reef, but Kraken Reef is showing 2 - 4 weeks for production lead times.

I like the Kracken reef - the 2-4 weeks doesn't seem too terrible.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you want to really, really enjoy your tank for a long time to come, and aren’t planning an immediate upgrade, treat yourself to a custom lid. Until it comes (6 weeks?), get a piece of egg crate from Lowe’s and snap it off to rough dimensions, as a temporary measure. :)
Good suggestion - I actually didn't think of that and it might be the best solution. The tank is in the living room and we often have company, so I definitely value the aesthetic of it (part of the reason I went AIO rather than a custom setup).

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine from an old unused window screen. Took it apart, cut it to the dimensions I needed ( plastic frame), painted it black and rescreened it.
613634E5-E296-4B68-876B-46576D8CD2B5.jpeg
Is the plant in the upper left sitting on top of the screen or do you have a hole to allow it to grow through?

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all of the upgrades available for this extremely popular aquarium, I'm surprised there aren't more off-the-shelf options for mesh/net lids. I'm removing the stock lid to upgrade the light and I'd like to discourage carpet surfers, but I can't seem to find a good solution.

I've seen the DIY options and that's the way I'm leaning given other options, but my workmanship will leave a lot to be desired aesthetically (rough cuts, etc. - I'm not particularly handy) and I'm a bit lazy. There are several companies and people who do "custom" lids, but they take months to build (I can deal with $100ish, but 60+ days is a lot to wait). Has anyone here removed the stock lid and replaced it with a mesh lid that didn't either require craftsman skills or months of waiting? I feel like I've exhausted my search options (Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, local club marketplace threads, etc.).
Just saw these net lids for the EVO

9F83B64E-6004-48DC-B86D-F9B2ED93EEC4.jpeg

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the plant in the upper left sitting on top of the screen or do you have a hole to allow it to grow through?
Those are actually air plants mounted on sand blasted grape wood. The one on the left is in a bracket I made that is attached to the outside of the back glass. The one on the right is mounted to the lid I made for the chambers. The natural evaporation of the tank water keeps them alive. Normally, they would have to be misted.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are actually air plants mounted on sand blasted grape wood. The one on the left is in a bracket I made that is attached to the outside of the back glass. The one on the right is mounted to the lid I made for the chambers. The natural evaporation of the tank water keeps them alive. Normally, they would have to be misted.
Thanks and very nice!! I love the look! :) I just saw some of those in the store not long ago. I wondered if I could incorporate them somehow. You've given me ideas. :)

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so sick dude

fantdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Price?

wannabereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine from an old unused window screen. Took it apart, cut it to the dimensions I needed ( plastic frame), painted it black and rescreened it.
613634E5-E296-4B68-876B-46576D8CD2B5.jpeg
hello do you remember what brand the plastic frame was im looking for plastic frame screen kits and cant find anything

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back