Metal Halide Bulb Recomendation

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the Giesemann bulbs but saw one tank with them and it looked way to purple for me, must have been their 22k bulb or whatnot. Also thought their par ratings were low but haven’t seen any of their other bulbs in person.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, not sure why people think Radiums are blue. Its absolutely bizarre to be honest, must be the supplements???

The radium is kinda blue on electronic ballasts. For those of us who appreciate a natural 10k look it’s too blue. I was running them with 4 or2 bars and it was just way to blue for me even though the bars didn’t really show much through the halide light. Much more pleased with the ushio 14k which honestly looks like 11 or 12k at the most to me.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a comparison to show how white the radiums are in comparison to LED.

C2BC3711-46E8-43C1-B60E-CF216A9DBC21.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, not sure why people think Radiums are blue. Its absolutely bizarre to be honest, must be the supplements???

that one is simple. All comes down to frame of reference. The ones who refer to it as blue are those who came from a time before radiums. On the flip side....people who have never even used anything other than leds will look at a radium and say it looks yellow. I’ve even seen a handful of people who had no experience with t5’s ask how to make their hybrids look more blue because running all ati Blue+ looks too “white”

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 20k Hamilton 250 watt SE on electronic ballast with 2-actinic, 2-blue+ T-5's. I like it, but may go to 14k next bulb change, may go up to 400 watts too
0809201514_HDR.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 20k Hamilton 250 watt SE on electronic ballast with 2-actinic, 2-blue+ T-5's. I like it, but may go to 14k next bulb change, may go up to 400 watts too
0809201514_HDR.jpg
yowza. 400 watt 14k bulbs at that distance from the water will be pushing 600 par on the sandbed.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yowza. 400 watt 14k bulbs at that distance from the water will be pushing 600 par on the sandbed.
I agree, really was thinking about only doing the middle bulb. I have to keep that fixture low or I get a lot of light spillage, I could have gone with the 48" fixture I guess.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with halides over 20 years ago. Initially I used Ushio but I now put them on the bottom of my list, along with Hamilton. (too dull with yellow tint; but it has been many years for both, so maybe they have changed??).
Without a doubt, my all-time favorite was Coral Vue Reeflux 12K SE bulbs (250 or 400). IMO they give the nicest crisp white with a tint of blue of any bulb I've ever used. Many years ago, they suddenly became unavailable and I heard the plant burned down. I then started using Radiums and have stuck with them. I don't think they are too blue (250's or 400's). They are my second choice after the Reeflux.
Interestingly, I recently did a search and found some of these Reeflux bulbs still being sold. Here is one such source (and I just sent an email to them to ask if these bulbs are still being made or if the ones they have have been sitting around for years):

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went looking for Reeflux 12K recently after not having a tank set up for many years. I didn't realize they had gone off the market. I did see a few stores I'd never heard of before selling them... Thought that was suspicious. Wonder if they're legit.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to thank all of you the great feed back for my question!!

The consensus seems to be Radium, Hamilton 14K-20K, Ushio 10K-14K, Reeflux 12K (if you can find them) some of the Giesemann and the Phoenix 14K DE. I have seen some Phoenix 14K SE bulbs being sold, does anyone know how these compare to the DE bulbs? If I’m missing any please let me know. Seems like I have some bulb purchases and some testing to do to see what suits me. If there are any I don’t have listed please let me know.

All of which everyone suggest being ran on a M80 ballast suck as the Hamilton. I however have com across 2 Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 7 Dual 250 watt M80/HQI ballast that have never been used.
The price point is a little steep, but if they are worth it I’ll pull the trigger.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What effect does a magnetic (M80) ballast have versus electronic? I know it can change the way a bulb looks, but I'm not sure how much, or if there are any other effects. I was really leaning toward a LuXcore select-a-watt 250/400 ballast, but it's electronic.

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently don't run halides but when I did...Phoenix 14k!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What effect does a magnetic (M80) ballast have versus electronic? I know it can change the way a bulb looks, but I'm not sure how much, or if there are any other effects. I was really leaning toward a LuXcore select-a-watt 250/400 ballast, but it's electronic.
Main difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts is efficiency. Magnetic ballasts generate a LOT of heat, which translates to wasted energy. I have run magnetic and electronic ballasts on my 10,000K bulbs and the only difference I notice is the heat generation. The bulbs didn't look any different, that I noticed. Since halide bulbs generate enough heat by themselves, and unless you want more heat under your tank, I'd go with electronic ballasts.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts is efficiency. Magnetic ballasts generate a LOT of heat, which translates to wasted energy. I have run magnetic and electronic ballasts on my 10,000K bulbs and the only difference I notice is the heat generation. The bulbs didn't look any different, that I noticed. Since halide bulbs generate enough heat by themselves, and unless you want more heat under your tank, I'd go with electronic ballasts.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys who are running MH what bulbs (brand, wattage, color temp) do you use. My tank is 96x30x30. I had originally planned on running Giesemann MegaChrome Crystal 17500K. I had based my decision to run these lights on several reviews and pictures stating they were a crystal white light with slight blue tint. I recently saw these in person over a tank and found them to be a bit to blue for my taste (don’t know what ballast was running them). I am looking to keep a mixed reef but a little heavier on the SPS side.
I would get the Ushio14K 400W on your electronic ballasts. 4 bulbs would be the best on a 96X30X30 tank. Maybe some Blue Plus T5s to make it nice. What fixtures do you have? Get some Acros in that system!!! Enjoy!!!

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the Ushio14K 400W on your electronic ballasts. 4 bulbs would be the best on a 96X30X30 tank. Maybe some Blue Plus T5s to make it nice. What fixtures do you have? Get some Acros in that system!!! Enjoy!!!
I have the Lumen Bright large retrofit reflectors. I am building an aluminum frame for them to sit in. Hood will then be built around that.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding the Hamilton 250 watt ballast. After researching and reading a lot, I have found that the the Hamilton 400 watt M135 pulse start ballast is not the same as the ballast (will not power the bulb to spec) that was use as in the older Sunlight Supply BW or the PFO ballast. Is this the same with the 250 watt M80 ballast that Hamilton sells?

Hamilton Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding the Hamilton 250 watt ballast. After researching and reading a lot, I have found that the the Hamilton 400 watt M135 pulse start ballast is not the same as the ballast (will not power the bulb to spec) that was use as in the older Sunlight Supply BW or the PFO ballast. Is this the same with the 250 watt M80 ballast that Hamilton sells?
Which ANSI PFO or SLS ballast are you referring to? The Pulse Start, which is the same, or the HQI which is different. The HQI 400W ballast tends to reduce the life of Radium 400W bulbs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back