Metal Halide Bulb Recomendation

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys who are running MH what bulbs (brand, wattage, color temp) do you use. My tank is 96x30x30. I had originally planned on running Giesemann MegaChrome Crystal 17500K. I had based my decision to run these lights on several reviews and pictures stating they were a crystal white light with slight blue tint. I recently saw these in person over a tank and found them to be a bit to blue for my taste (don’t know what ballast was running them). I am looking to keep a mixed reef but a little heavier on the SPS side.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from MH to Radion G5 Blue at the beginning of March. I ran MH for 2 1/2 to 3 years. I originally used the Giesemann 17.5K bulb and had decent results. I switched to Radium and had higher PAR, better growth and color. I don't remember the exact PAR number but the Radium's are significantly higher in PAR than the Giesemann. If I ever go back to MH I'll stay with the Radium's.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3-250w 20k Hamilton bulbs with 2-actinic and 2-blue+. I liked it at first, but I think it may be too blue, it looks really nice to my eye, but every photo is crazy blue. I may go to 10k's with all blue+ on the T-5's, it would be good to know how much par increases with that change.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be running phoenix 14k on hqi ballasts.
I still have and ran the giesemann 17.5K on my 18" cubed nano. It is a 150 watt and it was very white. It was whiter than a 14k.
20200515_053117.jpg

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from MH to Radion G5 Blue at the beginning of March. I ran MH for 2 1/2 to 3 years. I originally used the Giesemann 17.5K bulb and had decent results. I switched to Radium and had higher PAR, better growth and color. I don't remember the exact PAR number but the Radium's are significantly higher in PAR than the Giesemann. If I ever go back to MH I'll stay with the Radium's.
Where the Giesemann heavy blue or crisp white when you ran them?

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen the Radiums in person, how blue do they look? I’m not a huge fan of the super blue color. I guess I’m looking more for the color of like a 50/50 mix.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to put in my original post that I have the large lumen bright reflectors, mogul base and Luxcore 250/400 HQI selectable ballast.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few places that are selling the Phoenix 14K in a SE bulb. How do those compare to the DE?

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 radiums are very blue imo 20k for sure. The 400 looks like a 14k or so to me.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always felt that the Radium250 on m80’s are more of a nice crisp white than blue. More blue than a 10k Ushio for sure, but not really “blue” at all by today’s standards. Will definitely look more blue on electronic ballasts including the “hqi” setting

Having said that, the Radium 250 on good m80 ballast is a hard combo to beat.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always felt that the Radium250 on m80’s are more of a nice crisp white than blue. More blue than a 10k Ushio for sure, but not really “blue” at all by today’s standards. Will definitely look more blue on electronic ballasts including the “hqi” setting

Having said that, the Radium 250 on good m80 ballast is a hard combo to beat.
Who makes a good m80 ballast now?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back