OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210623_210550517_MP.jpg

Its on top of my diy canopy. The height is 12 inch. :)

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 10k with ati blue plus and ati actinic. Ill do the same with my t5 for dusk/dawn so my fishes dont think it's the apocalypse lol ;Hilarious I dont have any experience with kessil but i saw them on YouTube and the shimmer is pretty great.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heres my video. Its with t5 thou

Looks very nice!!!
I would suggest to add holes on the back board of the canopy, by the fans, so the air can circulate for the gas exchange. You can cut some egg crate to fit those holes if you worry about fishes jumping out.
Congratulations on your new reef, man!!!! Looks great!
Thanks for sharing the video!

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice!!!
I would suggest to add holes on the back board of the canopy, by the fans, so the air can circulate for the gas exchange. You can cut some egg crate to fit those holes if you worry about fishes jumping out.

I already did. Double lol its at 1 min mark. Do i need more thou?

I have two fans blowing in fron the back. Then i have another fan blowing in from the top right side to cool the t5 ballast and a fan blowing out on the middle top.

Well see if i need more and add more in the future.

Last edited:

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice!!!
So I run 2 t5 retrofits and 2 250w halides in an 18" high canopy over a 90. I have 2 fans, one mounted in the top extracting air out at each back corner.

I keep the front cracked open an eight inch and the temperature doesn't get above 80 with the house set at 75. You can feel the draft being pulled in from the bottom front that keeps a cushion of cool air between the lights and water. I almost added two more fans until I figured out cracking the front that little bit made such a big difference.

Old school everyone put fans pushing in because the thoughts were the salt moisture would trash the fan. 4 months in and I only see dust build up. They are so high only hot air gets to them, not salt or water.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have two fans blowing in fron the back. Then i have another fan blowing in from the top right side to cool the t5 ballast and a fan blowing out on the middle top.

You need the vents. The air that comes in (fan) needs to go out (vent) easily for better flow. Not only for the heat, but for gas exchange/air flow for the system itself.
Sorry about the drawing... I hope you can understand.
I know... I'm old school and draw on paper. LOL!
Here is your back board where the fans are and my suggestion of the holes with egg crate:
IMG_7226.JPG

You could also leave the whole on the top of the canopy (not on the back where the 2 fans are) without that top fan, and cut some egg crate to fit that hole. The 2 fans in the back are enough.
Hope that helps.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As mentioned, it's more efficient to draw hot air away, than to bring fresh air in. Fresh air will always be drawn in when you're exhausting the hot air away.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I run 2 t5 retrofits and 2 250w halides in an 18" high canopy over a 90. I have 2 fans, one mounted in the top extracting air out at each back corner.

I keep the front cracked open an eight inch and the temperature doesn't get above 80 with the house set at 75. You can feel the draft being pulled in from the bottom front that keeps a cushion of cool air between the lights and water. I almost added two more fans until I figured out cracking the front that little bit made such a big difference.

Old school everyone put fans pushing in because the thoughts were the salt moisture would trash the fan. 4 months in and I only see dust build up. They are so high only hot air gets to them, not salt or water.
You can remove the fan on the top so hot air goes up. The air needs to have a direction to flow. This is the way I do:
from top showing fan.png

My canopy only covered the left side and the front of the system above.
The other system I have the canopy covers only the sides and the front.
If I had to have the top covered besides the sides and the front, like my planted tank had for years, the whole back was exposed with a small fan with the clip.
The canopy was on top of this:
ATI on tank.png

Hope that helps.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, it's more efficient to draw hot air away, than to bring fresh air in. Fresh air will always be drawn in when you're exhausting the hot air away.
Yes, correct.
The hot air goes up, so you don't need the top fan, just leave it open.

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

heres an update. 10k metal halide (without t5) I also changed the fan. since reefbrite metal halide are warm to the touch. Im not concerned melting the fan :)

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the fan on the top so hot air goes up. The air needs to have a direction to flow. This is the way I do:
from top showing fan.png

My canopy only covered the left side and the front of the system above.
The other system I have the canopy covers only the sides and the front.
If I had to have the top covered besides the sides and the front, like my planted tank had for years, the whole back was exposed with a small fan with the clip.
The canopy was on top of this:
ATI on tank.png

Hope that helps.
I'll stick with my set up as it works without such a large fan. Hot air does rise but heat extraction with fans is more efficient. My canopy is enclosed on all sides so there isn't light bleed into the room.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back