Metal Halide vs. LED Rates of Photosynthesis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the whole point to most people to have a little box of pretty, fuzzy rocks essentially? I mean, I will absolutely take whatever looks pretty over whatever is the optimal growth spectrum. Growth is useless to me if it is not pretty. The "natural" spectrum most of these shallow water corals get is tick yellow. And that is UGLY! Corals are adaptable to spectrum as shown by the ranges and depths they are found in the wild + success of reefers with wildly different lights and temperature bulbs.
Have you ever went snorkeling over a reef full of shallow water colorful corals?
I wonder why you are saying "The "natural" spectrum most of these shallow water corals get is tick yellow."
I know a lot of people that can grow corals fast and very, very colorful! They are very pretty.
Don't understand why you wrote all that!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full pic showed it was tabling--under LEDs.
So what? It has absolutely nothing to do with any of my posts.
Is it any hard to have a table Acro "tabling" under LEDs?
Edit: Pics from above, please?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe in whatever they said/say without even question or do your own deep search? LOL!
Well, their decision was based on inputs from viewers, so their opinion was valid based on their criteria. All I know is that their opinion changed from just T-5s to T-5s and LEDs 5 years ago. Soon, even T-5s will be gone, due to RoHS. MH will also be banned at the same time. No more pollution from mercury. That leaves just LEDs, so the reefing world will have to evolve.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the whole point to most people to have a little box of pretty, fuzzy rocks essentially? I mean, I will absolutely take whatever looks pretty over whatever is the optimal growth spectrum. Growth is useless to me if it is not pretty. The "natural" spectrum most of these shallow water corals get is tick yellow. And that is UGLY! Corals are adaptable to spectrum as shown by the ranges and depths they are found in the wild + success of reefers with wildly different lights and temperature bulbs.
I know most of the people here don't have the opportunity to see shallow water colorful corals, so here is one video:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever went snorkeling over a reef full of shallow water colorful corals?
I wonder why you are saying "The "natural" spectrum most of these shallow water corals get is tick yellow."
I know a lot of people that can grow corals fast and very, very colorful! They are very pretty.
Don't understand why you wrote all that!
Mmmm, I'd say Windex blueish. This is about a foot from the surface over a reef.

Attachments

• CrocodileNeedlefish.jpg
    CrocodileNeedlefish.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 23

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what? It has absolutely nothing to do with any of my posts.
Is it any hard to have a table Acro "tabling" under LEDs?
Edit: Pics from above, please?
You mentioned a strange growth pattern. I clarified. It was about the size of my hand, and the branches pointed upward.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, their decision was based on inputs from viewers, so their opinion was valid based on their criteria. All I know is that their opinion changed from just T-5s to T-5s and LEDs 5 years ago. Soon, even T-5s will be gone, due to RoHS. MH will also be banned at the same time. No more pollution from mercury. That leaves just LEDs, so the reefing world will have to evolve.
Did they ever say that their decisions are based on inputs from viewers? When?
Would that be valid, if so? How? With all the wide relative opinions in this world? How?
You are misinformed! Those "green deals" are just rumors and they were around since 20 years ago. You are just saying what you heard on the internet from rumors, including from BRS, if so, as you've said!
The specialized industries will NOT stop production of fluorescent tubes nor metal halides.
Internet is great to spreading lies and rumors. That's just the way it is. Mostly to justify market strategies and for confirmation bias.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm, I'd say Windex blueish. This is about a foot from the surface over a reef.
LOL! Your posts our of context and with many overlaps on subjects is notable. Is that to confuse someone? Or you don't understand the sentences? Or perhaps you read them too fast? Or just to make a mess?
I just want to understand your point.
When I post I want to let people understand what's BEST from them, so they can grow their reefs better.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you have pics of your own SPS to share?
I can't share pictures of my SPS at work!
I can't have them at home!
Perhaps you don't know much about me.
Now I understand why you come here and get so confused posting.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing I want is to have another thread closed, specially one that Dana opened.
Let's have a great weekend!
Cheers!

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they ever say that their decisions are based on inputs from viewers? When?
Would that be valid, if so? How? With all the wide relative opinions in this world? How?
You are misinformed! Those "green deals" are just rumors and they were around since 20 years ago. You are just saying what you heard on the internet from rumors, including from BRS, if so, as you've said!
The specialized industries will NOT stop production of fluorescent tubes nor metal halides.
Internet is great to spreading lies and rumors. That's just the way it is. Mostly to justify market strategies and for confirmation bias.
And it's also a place to find international law, like the EU laws that restrict the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment through the RoHS Directive. UV (i.e., medical) bulbs have an exemption for now. If you watch the BRS video you'll see a letter to the bulb manufacturer saying they're not getting an extension to the exemption, since suitable alternatives (e.g., LEDs) are readily available. Hobby bulbs (T-5 and MH) aren't in the same realm as medical sterilization devices, and will be banned from production in the EU by the end of February next year.

I'm sure that MH and T-5 users are pro-environment and anti-pollution minded people, and are willing to do the right thing by giving up dependence on mercury-based lighting. Right?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Your posts our of context and with many overlaps on subjects is notable. Is that to confuse someone? Or you don't understand the sentences? Or perhaps you read them too fast? Or just to make a mess?
I just want to understand your point.
When I post I want to let people understand what's BEST from them, so they can grow their reefs better.
I was responding to the "tick yellow" comment.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't share pictures of my SPS at work!
I can't have them at home!
Perhaps you don't know much about me.
Now I understand why you come here and get so confused posting.
Sorry, man. You posted 9 times in rapid succession. I'm doing my best to keep up with them. LOL

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the Halide talk. Once one speaketh of the Halides then the threads must be shut down for reasons of the unknown.

Maybe Elon Musk should buy R2R. This way people can speak freely of Halides without getting threads shutdown. :)
Halides vs. LED is the subject of the thread.

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's also a place to find international law, like the EU laws that restrict the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment through the RoHS Directive. UV (i.e., medical) bulbs have an exemption for now. If you watch the BRS video you'll see a letter to the bulb manufacturer saying they're not getting an extension to the exemption, since suitable alternatives (e.g., LEDs) are readily available. Hobby bulbs (T-5 and MH) aren't in the same realm as medical sterilization devices, and will be banned from production in the EU by the end of February next year.

I'm sure that MH and T-5 users are pro-environment and anti-pollution minded people, and are willing to do the right thing by giving up dependence on mercury-based lighting. Right?
Nobody here in Europe in the retail speaks about this, I will have to inform me, but even if they stop, you will found them for a least 10 years.. Because it will not be forbidden to sell the existing stocks

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over days of intense negotiations, a group of countries came together to agree on phase-out dates for all lighting categories, including the EU, India, Indonesia, Japan, Norway, Pakistan, Switzerland, the US, and many Latin American governments, including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile and Colombia. However, not all Parties were prepared to move forward, citing the need for more time and additional feasibility analysis.

A phase-out of LFLs by 2027 – the date that most countries rallied around by the end of the week – would increase the benefits by 90%, avoiding 71.7 million metric tons mercury pollution and 2.72 Gt of CO2emissions and saving $1.06 trillion in cost savings, according to experts at CLASP.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back