Metal Halides for Small Tank?

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have kind of an interesting setup, it’s a 40g cube (22x22x22) and frag tank with the same foot print to match (22x22x10) plumbed together into one sump (can attach some photos if anyone’s curious!). Currently I’m running a Gen 4 XR30 on the 40g cube and two AI Primes on the frag tank. My initial plan was to run one side of the frag tank as sps and one side zoas/ lps, which is why I opted for two separate primes. I’m now leaning more towards doing all SPS in the frag tank and have been entertaining the idea of a metal halide/led hybrid. This is a basement tank so heat is not an issue.

My question is, what are my options? I have no experience with halides so I’m not fully grasping what I’ve been researching. I love the idea of the 400w hybrid fixture from reefbrite but surely that would be too much light for my situation right? Are there any other alternatives or am I grasping at straws?

Any and all input is welcome as I’m pretty much clueless on the matter, thanks!

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 400w will nearly boil the water. A 150w or 250w with some strips would be perfect. I would recommend and open top, but you will probably need a chiller anyway.

A very long time ago I had a 15g with a 150w and two power compacts. I had a 1/10hp chiller as well. It was awwwwweeeesome.

Oh I also had a 400w and some power compacts on a 58g. 18*36*21. Also had a chiller but rocked.

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 400w will nearly boil the water. A 150w or 250w with some strips would be perfect. I would recommend and open top, but you will probably need a chiller anyway.

A very long time ago I had a 15g with a 150w and two power compacts. I had a 1/10hp chiller as well. It was awwwwweeeesome.

Oh I also had a 400w and some power compacts on a 58g. 18*36*21. Also had a chiller but rocked.
I’ve heard great things about them and can’t get the idea out of my head, just don’t love the idea of a chiller if it could be avoided. Even with a 150w I would still need one?

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 400w MH on a 60g cube until about a year ago. Best results I ever had. Good chance you’ll need a chiller though.
What about jumping down to a 150w? I’ve got a about 70g of total water volume and this would only sit on top of ~17 gallons of it, would that help?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open top with a big fan and an auto top off would be your best bet. But my tanks ran steady in the 82-84 range before I put chillers on. It was fine but riding the upper limits.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with either a 150/175 or 250 as others suggested. At 250 I'd hang it at least 12" above and I think Reefbrite or a used Hamilton fixture would be the way to go. I just sold 4 of them in July and there may be some other used ones in the Drygoods forum. Also, fans blowing across the fixture can help mitigate the heat transfer.

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open top with a big fan and an auto top off would be your best bet. But my tanks ran steady in the 82-84 range before I put chillers on. It was fine but riding the upper limits.
Okay, now for the very beginner question. To make this work I would have to buy a 150w fixture, bulb, led strips, and ballast. Do I have that right or are some of these items sold together?

If so, do you have any bulb recommendations that could work?

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, now for the very beginner question. To make this work I would have to buy a 150w fixture, bulb, led strips, and ballast. Do I have that right or are some of these items sold together?

If so, do you have any bulb recommendations that could work?
If you go with Reefbrite bulbs, you have more options in the 175w bulb range.

Some other options as well for DE Reefbrite fixtures.

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with either a 150/175 or 250 as others suggested. At 250 I'd hang it at least 12" above and I think Reefbrite or a used Hamilton fixture would be the way to go. I just sold 4 of them in July and there may be some other used ones in the Drygoods forum. Also, fans blowing across the fixture can help mitigate the heat transfer.

Okay so I’m that case, do I have these options correct?
IMG_0137.jpeg

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have to start using a chiller to cool the water because of the lamp heating the water, just go with LED’s. The cost of electricity, the chiller and the halide fixture is going to be astronomical in cost. Plus, LED’s will give you very good lighting.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have kind of an interesting setup, it’s a 40g cube (22x22x22) and frag tank with the same foot print to match (22x22x10) plumbed together into one sump (can attach some photos if anyone’s curious!). Currently I’m running a Gen 4 XR30 on the 40g cube and two AI Primes on the frag tank. My initial plan was to run one side of the frag tank as sps and one side zoas/ lps, which is why I opted for two separate primes. I’m now leaning more towards doing all SPS in the frag tank and have been entertaining the idea of a metal halide/led hybrid. This is a basement tank so heat is not an issue.

My question is, what are my options? I have no experience with halides so I’m not fully grasping what I’ve been researching. I love the idea of the 400w hybrid fixture from reefbrite but surely that would be too much light for my situation right? Are there any other alternatives or am I grasping at straws?

Any and all input is welcome as I’m pretty much clueless on the matter, thanks!
Are you going to use halides for the 40gallon cube, or for the frag tank? Or both?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to start using a chiller to cool the water because of the lamp heating the water, just go with LED’s. The cost of electricity, the chiller and the halide fixture is going to be astronomical in cost. Plus, LED’s will give you very good lighting.
Do you think he, or anyone, would choose halides if wouldn't be for the results of the quality of the light?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I’ve heard great things about them and can’t get the idea out of my head, just don’t love the idea of a chiller if it could be avoided. Even with a 150w I would still need one?

No. But I would go with a 250 instead. 150's just don't pack enough punch.

There are no basements where I live and we have to run our air conditioners 24/7 for about 9 months out of the year. That said, I've run halides on many systems over the years and have never owned a chiller. Unless you hang a 400w 6" above your 10" tank, a fan will work just fine to keep the tank from overheating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back