Mexican Turbo Snail Shortage?

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been to multiple LFS recently and all have said that they don’t have turbo snails because they’ve been difficult to get recently. I finally found one that was willing to sell some from their display tank, but there were only two. I know that they’re still for sale on many places online, so is this a shortage locally (Connecticut) or is everyone experiencing this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been to multiple LFS recently and all have said that they don’t have turbo snails because they’ve been difficult to get recently. I finally found one that was willing to sell some from their display tank, but there were only two. I know that they’re still for sale on many places online, so is this a shortage locally (Connecticut) or is everyone experiencing this?
I cant say there is a shortage and there has not been storms but now that you mention, I have seen them but not as many. . . Hmmmm

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus are almost better anyway (hardier and they can right themselves).
I am relatively newer with only a couple years in the saltwater fragging business but I think they serve different purposes. I have found the appetites and speed lend themselves to bare bottom tanks with minimal rockwork. I only flip one or two a week out of the 70 or so in my ~280 gallons frag tanks. Trochus are nice long term display tank inhabitants and wont move your rockwork plus they can get deeper into the rockwork then turbos. What do yall think about the two?

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them at my LFS but they're like 4 bucks a pop. Idk if it's the time of year or what but they used to be like a dollar, maybe 1.50

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively newer with only a couple years in the saltwater fragging business but I think they serve different purposes. I have found the appetites and speed lend themselves to bare bottom tanks with minimal rockwork. I only flip one or two a week out of the 70 or so in my ~280 gallons frag tanks. Trochus are nice long term display tank inhabitants and wont move your rockwork plus they can get deeper into the rockwork then turbos. What do yall think about the two?
I do have turbos as well, but they never end up living anywhere near as long as the trochus (it could be that various crabs are more adept at flipping them over for an escargot snack).

Spiny astrea and ring cowries are great for rock work, trochus and turbos for the glass and nassarius and cerith for the sand bed. I have a massive 3-4" trochus that can just hoover the heck out of algae when he feels so inclined.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just checked one local LFS by me:

TURBO - MEXICAN- SNAILS$2.994/$10 9/$20
TURBO - MEXICAN ZEBRA- SNAILS$3.993/$10

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense. I usually get my snails from bluezoo and they didnt have any the last few times either

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have turbos as well, but they never end up living anywhere near as long as the trochus (it could be that various crabs are more adept at flipping them over for an escargot snack).

Spiny astrea and ring cowries are great for rock work, trochus and turbos for the glass and nassarius and cerith for the sand bed. I have a massive 3-4" trochus that can just hoover the heck out of algae when he feels so inclined.
It sounds like I need to get larger trochus before I compare them to turbos. All the turbos I have had have been big, even for turbos. Thanks for the advice!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back