MH or kessil 360we...? pls advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter kris2001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kris2001

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
727
Reaction score
101
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is 60x24x24 inch. Currently blanketed fully by HAMILTON MH PENDANT that's 2 x 250w radium.

love the shimmer and even shades and corners get reflected light.

I'm getting a good deal on used kessil 360s locally. If I were to replace the halide how many kessil would it take to get the same effect and coverage.


Thx

20200417_210215.jpg 20200310_182419.jpg 20200310_182425.jpg
 
Oh forgot, just ignore the 2 bulb t5 retro it's minimal light currently!
 
I think 4 or 5 kessils to replace the halides. Around 2013 I replaced my 250 halides with 350’s then 360’s. I thought a one to one replacement would work. I was really wrong about that.
 
Stick with the halide. IMO it is the best light source for coral growth and color (Acros). Many may disagree but you will be spending money to get a less impressive light. You already have good lights, spend your money on corals or something else like a Calcium reactor. Your lights are good.
 
If you like the look of halide and can deal with the extra heat, stick with it. As recommended, spend that money on other stuff.
 
Agree with 4-5 Kessil 360WE. Kessil have great color, good control, use less energy, less heat produced as I am currently using for my LPS.

However, it is super weak I mean 5 minimum for your tank, and it has small buzz sound when cooling fan gets old.
 
Thx all, what happens if I don't replace radium 250 w bulbs every year?

Less growth?! Btw I only run them 4hr daily.
 
Why not use both
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new