MIA New Hippo Tang

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yello,

So I'll cut to the chase, I got a baby blue hippo tang around 5 days ago, I put him in he was swimming around blue damsels sorta did a little booty shake (not sure is it a sign of aggression? but the tang didn't seem to mind). Anyway the next day I woke up look at the tank and didn't see him and haven't seen him since. Should I break the rockwork apart to look for him? The tank is like 200 gallons and loaded with anemones and coral so I don't want to disturb if I don't have to.

I mean the tank is like 3 years old, haven't ever had an issue with dead fish b4 other than yellow wrasse that jumped out and a clownfish that got stuck down the drain pipe.

Anyone had any experiences with new blue tangs? Is this normal?

Thanks

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, definitely don't break the tank apart. That'll just stress the tang further. If it's still alive, it'll come out when it's ready! There's not really anything you can do.

From what I've heard, this is a common problem with "baby" tangs like yours.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI,hoping for the best,but do not tear apart reef looking for,if gone reef will take care of.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good possibility is hiding ,best wishes :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very small blue/hippo tangs don't have a great survival record. Certainly possible it reappears .... more likely it's died. What kinds of anemones? One of them may have eaten it.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above. I consistently hear baby hippos have a terrible survival rate for no apparent reason. Optimal size to buy is at least 2".

New Hippos will often jam themselves into a crevice and hide. Will come out when it's ready.

Unfortunately if it died, I doubt you'll ever find it in a tank that size. Eaten by an anenome, clean up crew, or just in such a tight spot it can't be seen.

I have a 3" Hippo in a 55 gallon (upgrading soon), and it can still disappear on me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back