OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks beautiful, hopefully they both thrive and I’m sure they will in your care!
That’s sweet of you!

I purchased a lot of fish recently. I just haven’t been telling you guys because I want them to graduate to the tank first. :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sweet of you!

I purchased a lot of fish recently. I just haven’t been telling you guys because I want them to graduate to the tank first. :)
No worries :)
Looking forward to seeing what else there it!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who saw the thread I made about the mandarin gobies: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mandarin-gobies-extremely-malnourished.924312/page-2#post-10404199

I basically returned the gobies to the LFS and exchanged for a single green spotted mandarin. It was mainly my fault for not paying attention to how skinny these mandarins were, but you could only tell if you saw their underside.

I am pretty happy with my outcome, but I do feel a little bad for the poor mandarins I returned. I just feel like they probably had too much liver damage to be able to recover and I don’t think they would make it in anyone’s care.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who saw the thread I made about the mandarin gobies: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mandarin-gobies-extremely-malnourished.924312/page-2#post-10404199

I basically returned the gobies to the LFS and exchanged for a single green spotted mandarin. It was mainly my fault for not paying attention to how skinny these mandarins were, but you could only tell if you saw their underside.

I am pretty happy with my outcome, but I do feel a little bad for the poor mandarins I returned. I just feel like they probably had too much liver damage to be able to recover and I don’t think they would make it in anyone’s care.
It’s a shame they were so skinny, hopefully someone can pick them up and try to give them a great life like you did.
As for the spotted, do you plan to pair it up in the future?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a shame they were so skinny, hopefully someone can pick them up and try to give them a great life like you did.
As for the spotted, do you plan to pair it up in the future?
I absolutely do intend to pair the spotted in the future! Males are super hard to find and none of the LFS’s have them currently. I watched some spawning videos and it’s incredible!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4437DF0D-599A-4536-B3D0-7668F98F211E.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks a bit skinny but not overly skinny which is good, hopefully she fattens up :)
Slightly skinny is fine. She’s very active and is eating a lot despite just getting her. :)

Last edited:

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saved this little mandarin from the LFS today. He’s so malnourished that I wasn’t even sure he would survive in my care because he’s EXTREMELY skinny. I put him in a tiny vase with a female mandarin that I purchased (they were in different tanks). I am feeding them a lot of tigger pods. At first only the female was eating, but now I see the male eating too.

D6727411-D983-4B62-AE87-E6EACA886E05.jpeg

Good job. Beautiful. I love Mandarin fish. I got a wild caught one about a year ago and started it on pods. Now it eats anything, Mysis, even flake.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps. It’s not done yet. The frame is not fully painted, and the top doors aren’t on yet.

It took much longer than I anticipated because the carpenter kept delaying. I am excited to see it finished. It looks GREAT! Acros are growing noticeably. I think I unlocked the code from the changes I made to my mentality of reefing.

Lots of new fish are going to be added soon. Let’s say…August 3rd. I think that’s a good date. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back