OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the changes I made to my system (did not happen all at the same time).
  • Closed UV sterilizer
  • Feeding fish more
  • Vinegar dosing during daylight hours
  • Silicate dosing 2x/week
  • Cheato gro once a week
  • Live phytoplankton dosing
  • Added live KP rocks.

The vinegar and phyto dosing is to feed bacteria, corals, and filter feeders. Just like what happens in nature.

Silicate is to encourage diatoms to feed copepods, and for sponges. It’s a small dose so no worries there!

I am excited to see the progression of my tank. So far the acros and corals are very happy. These changes happened slowly and not all at once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really busting out all the stops! Its going to be a mandarin mecca with all the pods you're encouraging!
The mandarin is constantly eating which makes me so happy. Just trying to replicate nature. :)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a scooter blenny that's always fun to watch; just minding his own business cruising around the rockwork picking up pods. For such a small fish in a big tank its incredible how visible he is; I can only imagine its better with the stunning markings on your mandarin! Are you planning on getting any red scooter dragonets?
Your Mandarin made me jealous and the local Petco has had a bunch of green Mandarins for a few weeks so I got one, its in my QT with Cheeto and live rock for observation. :)

Any recommendations for QTing? I heard they're skin is really good with deterring parasites. And they're pretty sensitive. I only observed and dipped my Dragonette.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scooter blenny that's always fun to watch; just minding his own business cruising around the rockwork picking up pods. For such a small fish in a big tank its incredible how visible he is; I can only imagine its better with the stunning markings on your mandarin! Are you planning on getting any red scooter dragonets?
Your Mandarin made me jealous and the local Petco has had a bunch of green Mandarins for a few weeks so I got one, its in my QT with Cheeto and live rock for observation. :)

Any recommendations for QTing? I heard they're skin is really good with deterring parasites. And they're pretty sensitive. I only observed and dipped my Dragonette.
Thank you Sam! :D

I actually am thinking of getting red rubies, but I wasn’t sure if they will get along, so I was waiting until I could ask @eatbreakfast on Humblefish’s forum.

About quarantining.

First, I’m not sure if my tank is 100% ich free. I saw like a grain of sand on my naso’s fin, maybe a tiny dot or two on the yellow tang.

I’ve been observing them for over 2 weeks and I haven’t seen any new spots at all. I don’t know if it’s ich. The fish look completely clean now.

So anyway, I still QT new fish to prevent adding ich/velvet/brook.

For my mandarin, I put him through Hybrid Tank Transfer. It’s basically TTM, but you do 30 min peroxide baths before 2 of the transfers. I had to buy copepods from the LFS and that wasn’t cheap.

Ultimately, after the second peroxide bath (about 6 days in QT) I put him in the display. The mandarin was trying to jump out of the little container I had him in. He didn’t like the small sterile environment even though it had a lot of pods in it.

Once in the display he immediately perked up and looks so happy.

I became smarter and now I started culturing 3 bottles of pods. I’m waiting until I can split the cultures and have more bottles of pods.

So for QT, I terminated it short because I felt like the probability of a parasite coming on a mandarin and staying after 2 peroxide baths was pretty darn low. :)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know what you mean by not being able to guarantee no ich... I'm still jumping on the Poly-Lab medic train every time I see a grain of sand...
Hmm not sure I can do the TTM because I'm growing out the Cardinals in the tank I use for that and I dont have a dedicated pod population for that. I may do extended observation (with Poly-lab medic) and parasite baths. And will be going back to the Petco to check on his tank mates. I probably should have held-off on getting him except he is the kind my daughter wanted and I wanted to surprise her for when she got home... heh oops

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on the cabinetry? I want to see it in full grandeur!
No new progress since he doesn’t work on weekends.

Until then, here’s a FTS of our tank that I just took now.

9E16E2A5-2440-45BA-B7C0-6E90F3A5A8C1.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys guys guys!!! Today is such a GOOD day!!

First, This morning I spotted my emerald crab. I’ve only ever seen him like 2-3 times within the past MONTHS!

F2AF531F-E4C6-407D-B53B-C4B63ED27611.jpeg

Then, Later today I added some fish that completed their QT:
  • 1x Red Firefish
  • 1x pyramid butterfly
  • 4x Lyretail Anthias (squamipinnis)

842F32CC-1B3A-4528-921A-845323AC08B7.jpeg
766301DC-231A-4BA6-A6A1-484B9BBF125E.jpeg

And the FINAL part that is making me SO happy right now…

I’ve been reefing for years, and I’ve never ever seen a pineapple sponge in any of my tanks. I changed my DI resin and I see a PINAPPLE SPONGE!!! @Dan_P

FC2E7322-62E5-4AB3-A629-9585544202EF.jpeg

I’m doing the right things guys!!! Look at all the filter feeders! I doubt it’s the phytoplankton since I literally just started it like a few days ago. I believe dosing cheato gro, adding vinegar, and adding the KP rocks made this impact! I’m so fricking elated!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back