OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some time to observe the tank for a good long while last night (been busy with a new baby and stuff) and I’m fairly sure the regal has flukes.
I could see it shaking it’s head a couple of times and if you add that to the list of symptoms such as loss of appetite and overall reclusiveness everything points to that being the cause.
I’ve used prazipro in the past but that something I brought back with me from the US and it’s not sold I Sweden or in Europe as a whole from what I can tell.

I’ve ordered this of the UK version of Amazon and should get it next week:
From what I can tell it’s supposed to be reef safe. Anyone who has experience using it?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some time to observe the tank for a good long while last night (been busy with a new baby and stuff) and I’m fairly sure the regal has flukes.
I could see it shaking it’s head a couple of times and if you add that to the list of symptoms such as loss of appetite and overall reclusiveness everything points to that being the cause.
I’ve used prazipro in the past but that something I brought back with me from the US and it’s not sold I Sweden or in Europe as a whole from what I can tell.

I’ve ordered this of the UK version of Amazon and should get it next week:
From what I can tell it’s supposed to be reef safe. Anyone who has experience using it?

Sorry about that news.
No experience with that product neither.
Maybe @najer or @SPR1968 know this, or know someone who used it before?

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that news.
No experience with that product neither.
Maybe @najer or @SPR1968 know this, or know someone who used it before?
I’ve seen a bunch of UK reefers using with good success in their DTs so hopefully it will work out alright. Reports said that sps tends to get a little bit ticked of but no worse than that.

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks super cool!
You don’t have that many rocks, don’t you? Do you rely on the sand for expanding the surface used for the nitrogen cycle?

I haven’t had a reef for the last 15 years, so I might be out of date

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks super cool!
You don’t have that many rocks, don’t you? Do you rely on the sand for expanding the surface used for the nitrogen cycle?

I haven’t had a reef for the last 15 years, so I might be out of date
Thank you!
I believe I have about 25-30kg of live rock in there. 15 years ago I probably had 3x that amount in a similarly sized tank.
I believe sand definitely helps with overall stability but these days the nutrient export methods have gotten that good that, in my case, I believe I would be fine without. Having a ton of corals helps to haha.

Welcome back to the hobby! Looks like you are of to a good start!
But get some proper live rock in that tank haha ;)

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I believe I have about 25-30kg of live rock in there. 15 years ago I probably had 3x that amount in a similarly sized tank.
I believe sand definitely helps with overall stability but these days the nutrient export methods have gotten that good that, in my case, I believe I would be fine without. Having a ton of corals helps to haha.

Welcome back to the hobby! Looks like you are of to a good start!
But get some proper live rock in that tank haha ;)
There’s been so many changes that I feel like being Fred Flintstone after 15 years out of the hobby. Once again your tank looks super cool, I’ll keep an eye on the thread to get some inputs for my small tank.

Funny word you used...”live rock”, what does that mean?! ;)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been so many changes that I feel like being Fred Flintstone after 15 years out of the hobby. Once again your tank looks super cool, I’ll keep an eye on the thread to get some inputs for my small tank.

Funny word you used...”live rock”, what does that mean?! ;)
Yeah, I know the feeling. I was out for a bit as well and when I came back I was like “where the hell is all the metal halides and stuff”.

I just realized that you’re a fellow Swede, whereabouts are you located?

By “live” I mean from the ocean carrying all manners of bacteria and micro/macro fauna.
I tried starting a tank with 90% Marco rock...it was horrible :p

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know the feeling. I was out for a bit as well and when I came back I was like “where the hell is all the metal halides and stuff”.

I just realized that you’re a fellow Swede, whereabouts are you located?

By “live” I mean from the ocean carrying all manners of bacteria and micro/macro fauna.
I tried starting a tank with 90% Marco rock...it was horrible :p
I understand you...but now you have a wonderful tank! So you did well your homework...

I live on the other side of the Øresund, but I am a citizen of the world, neither Danish nor Swedish.

Yeah, I know what’s a live rock, it was a joke, my bad! :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the office for the first time in a couple of weeks and thought to check on the tank throughout one of our security cameras.
Not the best video quality but I could tell the fish was acting somewhat strange.
After a minute or so the culprit appeared:
A3BFC088-5A1D-44FF-A020-E7E268C94396.jpeg

Called the wife and she got him of the tank without him causing any problems haha

In other news the Achilles has turned in to a real pig, eats everything and getting fatter by the day. As expected it got some spots of ich when it went in but it disappeared within a day or two like it always does.

I might have jumped the gun regarding flukes on the regal. It has started eating again and is almost back to its usual self. It might have been that it got spooked by something, bashed itself on the glass and needed some time to recuperate. Since I hate medicating my fish i’m going to hold of on dosing the tank for a bit.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no. I don’t think that was flukes. Very strange, all symptoms the regal had just went away.
Well, now I have prazi on hand if it becomes a problem in the future.

I recently had my birthday and the wife’s present was a new fish of my choice (well almost, she wanted to be involved to make sure that it was pretty hehe).
I ended up with another risky species for a reef tank, a sub-adult navarchus angel.
4568C52E-31DE-4BC7-A22B-B8C9C2BAA00C.jpeg

The Achilles gave it a fairly rude welcome but the aggression luckily seems to be subsiding

I did however break out the old trusty mirror
B5E37655-73AF-4690-9364-E6CE05BEA337.jpeg

It’s already eating so hopefully it’s going to acclimate without to much hassle (and not be to bad with the picking).

I also did a slight rescape (just moved a rock at the center) after I did some fragging and knocked stuff over
DFF84755-88C5-4444-8365-52D909B8342A.jpeg

I also got a very small male mandarin but that little guy went straight behind the rocks so no picture of him.

Since I started dosing the aquaforest products my pod population has just exploded so he should have a real smorgasbord lined up for him :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tunze 9410 skimmer has been a real workhorse, pulling out a stupid amount of gunk. The main problem has been that the collection cup filled up in no time.
I was looking for a solution and came across a larger skimmer cup that was compatible but it was discontinued by Tunze some time ago.
As luck would have it a German retailer had ONE left in stock and it just arrived.
36279391-3072-4647-8098-CBAD8B374EE6.jpeg
When I was messing with the sump I finally got my act together and cleaned up the electrical mess a bit. Still doesn’t look good but it’s an improvement.

From this:
419C80E6-DD89-45B5-9F78-1FEAE419F68C.jpeg

To this:
0B952C0F-38C9-42D8-B2C0-88173C4B121D.jpeg

In other news the navarchus is well settled in and the Achilles has accepted the new addition :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!! Love your collection of fish! How long have you had your Moorish Idol for and does he nip at any of your corals? How is the navarchus angel doing? Is he nipping at anything?
Happy you like it!
I’ve had it for about four months. Yeah, it does occasionally nip at a tort but nothing major and causing no damage.

The navarchus is doing great! Eating everything like a champ and starting to get bolder. The Achilles will sometimes show it that’s he’s still the boss but nothing more than that.
It does nip a bit on several sps but I’m not to concerned, I think that the overall volume of coral should keep any one piece from getting to stressed.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sick of constantly buying the same stuff that I burn through monthly. The solution? Buy in bulk!
11DD9C82-3203-4DCB-ABC4-EA2E992AC541.jpeg

The upgrade of the tunze skimmer really worked well, almost to well as it's pulling out an amazing amount of crud. This is the result of five days of skimming
0D9F9679-49BC-4EDB-9BBF-EE01FD0A133B.jpeg

Next weekend I’ll install a sink in the sump room which will be amazing...finally!

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new gadget that I’m very happy with is this feeding pouch from two little fishies.
64EEF673-630C-4D1F-84B4-8B62066D2FAB.jpeg

It’s awesome to feed stuff like angel formula and other gel foods in addition to nori etc.
The pouch swivels when the fish dip at the food and when you remove the outer magnet it floats to the surface.
Highly recommended!
Looks great , the fish and coral realy pop .
Those orphek bars , are they the bleu or actinic?
Grtz jack

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back