Michael’s 140g kind of shallow sps build. Reefing in Sweden

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the house sale! Now if only mine would... we’re in the same boat, i had to tear my tank down since we’re going to be moving. Blessing in disguise though, now i can start again from scratch with new equipment. Good luck with everything!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the house sale! Now if only mine would... we’re in the same boat, i had to tear my tank down since we’re going to be moving. Blessing in disguise though, now i can start again from scratch with new equipment. Good luck with everything!
Thank you! It’s going to be great :)
I’m just hoping that it won’t be to cold when we are doing the move, if we’re unlucky it could be -10 at the end of November :oops:

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s now less than two weeks until we move and the tank is doing exceptional, I keep having to raise my dosing every 4-5 days
Hopefully the next time I post a pic of the tank it’s after a successful relocation. The dang weather took a turn for the worse, it’s now below zero so that’s not great.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. Your fish look gorgeous.
I would die to have to move another well doing tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily the move seems to have gone of without to many issues. we started at around noon and I finished up right around three in the morning. I was so wiped I could hardly form a cohesive thought when I called it quits for the day haha.
Some of the corals are understandably stressed out and due to me focusing on tearing down walls etc in the new house I didn’t respond quick enough when the vitals started to consume alk again so the KH dropped to about 6,6. Slowly bringing it up to around 7,5 again.

just added the new sand last night so it’s a bit cloudy:
C7AB0A44-9546-4689-BD25-A6594B064D2B.jpeg

6292B4CA-8A4F-4DB4-B130-661FFC368DB9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that turned out nice, even after a fresh move.
Thanks! I’m pleasantly surprised.
Starting to get some diatoms in the sand bed but that is to be expected after disturbing everything like I did. I’ve increased the photoperiod of the refugium and dosing some more nopox, a couple of weeks of that should bring everything in line.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some strange reason the tank has been using about 40% more alk (and I guess calcium since I’m using ATI essentials pro) after the move.
I can’t really figure out why since I’m doing the same things now as I did before the move. If anything I would suspect a clear drop in consumption for a while.
Oh well, everything seems to be doing well.
7CC8CA44-B23A-47C3-A113-9184E54A10D8.jpeg

Something else that I saw tonight was that my rockflower anemone was spawning
8FA982D1-DE7A-481C-B732-25232582292C.jpeg

It’s the only one in the tank so nothing much will come of it but still fun :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking terrific.
Thank you!
I’ve got some things planned moving forward (automatic water changes, KH-director, swapping out some of the more basic acros for high end stuff) but that’s going to have to wait a bit...we’ve burned through money like there’re no tomorrow after the move to our new house ;Dead

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some aptasia popping up lately. Tried killing them of with kalk but it seems to make them spread faster.
I've been meeting to get another copper banded butterfly since mine committed suicide. Talked to my LFS before Christmas and they had a decent sized one in stock.
Went to pick it up today but someone thought that it would be a good idea to pair it with a large emperor angel...the CBB was in rough shape so I passed.
I did however pick up a couple of peppermint shrimp, now I’m just hoping that they will leave my sps alone.

The only thing that seems to have been affected negatively by the move is the clam, it doesn’t extend properly. I might have to give it a FW bath to see if that will help.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year

How is the tank doing?
With peppermint shrimp you have to be patient, but they will get the job done.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year

How is the tank doing?
With peppermint shrimp you have to be patient, but they will get the job done.

The same to you!

The tank is doing fairly well, corals are doing better and better and the fish are settled in.
I’ve had a mild flair up of diatoms but it’s starting to subside. All summer up the tank is starting to stabilize.

A couple of days ago I stumbled across an add of a guy selling his tank and livestock. He had a copper banded butterfly and since I’ve been looking for a decent specimen since mine committed suicide I decided to have a look at it.
It was a small guy and fairly gaunt, for some reason he kept it with a bunch of very fast eaters like tangs and large angels.
I decided to try and save the little guy since it was eating frozen and it seems to be doing well, wolfing down mysis :)
There’s some chasing from the regal and purple tang but nothing to serious and it seems to lessen.

The one negative is that I’ve lost my clam. It just didn’t react well to the move and never opened up properly, one day it just kicked the bucket.
Stupid things....

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the little guy
D43E2A87-3977-4B05-91EA-D19CA6DFCC0F.jpeg

It’s eating mysis like a champ, it even rushes to the glass/surface when I get near the tank...fingers crossed that it puts on some weight.

I also picked up this Goni a couple of weeks ago
EB652149-97AC-4C42-9CBC-3D6A1CD3A36F.jpeg

I sold of some colonies over the weekend, stuff that I just didn’t really like and was taking up space that could be used for other things.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the CBB also seems to like masstick mixed with mysis. I’m thinking that I’ll feed that once a week until it’s nice and plump.
I’ve always found it to be great for fish that can’t scarf down food at the same rate as angelfish/tangs.
AC0EB048-A9F8-4149-92D4-A84CFF7FA2CA.jpeg

sorry about the cloudy water, I just did a WC and the masstick doesn’t help either.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap. I was in the middle of my normal morning routine when I walked downstairs to the basement and realized that something was different. After a few seconds it dawned on me that the tank was completed silent. Something had tripped a fuse and the tank was without power.
After some poking around I found the reason, the return pump must have short circuited or something during the night.

The temp had dropped with about 2 degrees Celsius during the power outage but everything looked fine. Before I left for work I moved the heater up to the display tank.

The LFS Close to my office only had a couple of options when it came to return pumps, a couple of really cheap, crappy ones and a maxspect duo.
Bought the maxspect and going to hook it up later tonight when I get home. I’ve done zero research on it so I’m just hoping it’s decent.
EB735D02-D239-4C31-A2D1-958BC4CB2951.jpeg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that stinks. Just glad you caught it early.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back