Michael’s 140g kind of shallow sps build. Reefing in Sweden

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, the wife and I are looking to buy a bigger house and we had the photographer over a couple of days ago since we will be selling our place. He took a good shot of our guest room where the tank is.
F06A0679-1BA5-4926-8D7E-C911D5D3105A.jpeg

The tank is finally starting to stabilize since the transfer so I’m dreading having to tear it up. Especially since I, in a fit of rage/moment of stupidity siliconed the leaking down pipes in place. I’m afraid if I’ll move it I’ll never get it to seal again haha.

One of the houses that we looked at actually had a reef tank in it, a reefer 425xl if I’m not mistaken.
That poor tank was in rough shape, I’ve never seen so many aptasia
Great view from that couch.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great view from that couch.
Yeah! The only problem with having a good spot to view the tank from is that you tend to get stuck sometimes. Or well, I don’t think it’s a problem but ask my wife and you’ll get a different answer ;)

That couch pulls out and when we have my sisters-in-laws kids sleeping over their favorite part is to lay in the bed looking at the fish :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap!
We just signed the contract for a new house, really exiting but it will be freaking nerve wracking to move the tank.
The wife is talking about installing an outdoor jacuzzi but I think a new, bigger tank would be a much better investment ;)

Ideally we would do the move in about two months but that also depends on the wishes of the buyers of our place.
The tank will most likely just go in maintenance mode until the move.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do jacuzzis not get frozen in winter time in Sweden?
I agree on the upgraded tank!

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely tank, I wish I had your 0 Nitrates, I have tried loads of methods over 3 years now and my Nitrates have never read 0. The lowest for me has been 10 and the highest 80 have never had any issue with other water parameters. I feed my fish once a day, my tangs get a little extra Nori sheet about a quarter of a full sheet. Corals I feed 3 times a week, target feeding Reef Roids or coral smoothie a bit like coral frenzy.. My corals, some have good growth some more slow. I’m at the moment dosing Aquaforest NitraPhos Minus hoping that will help.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do jacuzzis not get frozen in winter time in Sweden?
I agree on the upgraded tank!

Yeah, I guess they would but as long as you drain it you should be fine. That’s the least of my worries, the place has a big butt pool as well. That’s going to be a proper headache to make winter ready.

The best part is that my proposed man-cave is right next to a room with water, sink and a floor drain. I’m thinking of doing an external sump in that room. It would be a blessing to not have to mess around under the stand.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely tank, I wish I had your 0 Nitrates, I have tried loads of methods over 3 years now and my Nitrates have never read 0. The lowest for me has been 10 and the highest 80 have never had any issue with other water parameters. I feed my fish once a day, my tangs get a little extra Nori sheet about a quarter of a full sheet. Corals I feed 3 times a week, target feeding Reef Roids or coral smoothie a bit like coral frenzy.. My corals, some have good growth some more slow. I’m at the moment dosing Aquaforest NitraPhos Minus hoping that will help.
Thank you buddy!
Strange that you have such problems bringing your nitrates down, although I would rather have 10 than 0!

Do you have a refugium running? Can’t be a buildup of junk in your sand bed or something? I’ve noticed that when I’m fairly diligent about cleaning my sand my numbers stay low.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you buddy!
Strange that you have such problems bringing your nitrates down, although I would rather have 10 than 0!

Do you have a refugium running? Can’t be a buildup of junk in your sand bed or something? I’ve noticed that when I’m fairly diligent about cleaning my sand my numbers stay low.
Yes I do have a refugium growing Red Gracilaria Algae it’s growing but not overtaking,have only separated it once in three years. Also I have Exxodus•Nitryx Porus media which you soak for 24 hours with bacteria supposedly be one of the best to control Nitrates, been in the sump for 3 months now. As for the sand bed l to am diligent cleaning the sand bed, also with a turkey baster I blow anything on my rockscape to keep the rocks clean, this is done weekly now with 20% water change every week. Probably one day I will get there.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have a refugium growing Red Gracilaria Algae it’s growing but not overtaking,have only separated it once in three years. Also I have Exxodus•Nitryx Porus media which you soak for 24 hours with bacteria supposedly be one of the best to control Nitrates, been in the sump for 3 months now. As for the sand bed l to am diligent cleaning the sand bed, also with a turkey baster I blow anything on my rockscape to keep the rocks clean, this is done weekly now with 20% water change every week. Probably one day I will get there.
Dang, I can’t see why you should have any problems with nitrates.

You may want to introduce some chaeto in your fuge, I find that it has the fastest growth rate and it stands to reason that it should be the most effective in nutrient uptake.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I can’t see why you should have any problems with nitrates.

You may want to introduce some chaeto in your fuge, I find that it has the fastest growth rate and it stands to reason that it should be the most effective in nutrient uptake.
Thanks, will give it a try, I was also thinking on a diy algae scrubber, just waiting on a small pump for that.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my morning feeding I realized that the tank was awfully quiet. Checked out my sump and low and behold, the darn skimmer had packed it in. It’s a coral-box skimmer with a cheap jebao pump so I’m not going to bother with replacing the pump.

I was looking at what new skimmer to get and initially I was leaning towards a nyos quantum 160 but I ended up ordering a tunze 9410.
My reasoning is that I’ve always been impressed with the build quality of tunzes products and the fact that they just keep working for ages.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,Michael Good luck with that I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, I’m happy with my bubble magus curve 5 where it has a small foot print and the pump is contained underneath which gives you a little more room in the sump. I did have an Aqua skimmer when I first had my tank it was large but this one is easy to maintain and skims great for me.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,Michael Good luck with that I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, I’m happy with my bubble magus curve 5 where it has a small foot print and the pump is contained underneath which gives you a little more room in the sump. I did have an Aqua skimmer when I first had my tank it was large but this one is easy to maintain and skims great for me.

I just installed it and this thing is a beast. It started skimming very well as soon as I turned it on.
I get what you are saying regarding the internal pump, a skimmer with a external one like thing sure takes up space.

It’s a bit noisy at the moment but that should sort itself out when in breaks in.
What I like about the Germans is that they focus on function first and it’s a real testament to that, ugly as hell but functional:)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it! The clam has started to show symptoms of pinched mantle The last few weeks and yesterday I decided to take action. Gave it a 20min dip in RO water that had been temp and ph adjusted.
It started to open up yesterday so it has definitely survived the treatment, now I’m just hoping that when I get home from work tonight it will have improved. Finger crossed!

In other news we visited our new house this weekend for some planning and as luck would have it there’s a room in the basement with a floor drain and a tap next to my proposed man-cave.
I will initially set up my current tank but the plan is to have a custom 130x70x60 optiwhite tank built and have a external sump in the room with the floor drain.
Not yet sure what costs we’re looking at in terms of redoing the place so I have no idea what’s a feasible time frame for this project.

The room with the box is where the tank is going to go and the Xs are walls we’re knocking down (the Xs are there since I sent this thing to my wife as well haha)

8A8F3EDE-6132-4358-9CAE-DE01A1EFEDD6.jpeg

It’s going to be a sweet hideout, reef tank, gun safe, PC gaming rig and the like haha

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems to have kicked of in the tank. Over the last few weeks I’ve almost had to double the amount of 2 part that I dose.
The increased consumption kind of caught me of guard and the dkh dropped from 7,35 where I normally keep it, down to 6,72.
No negative effects from the drop from what I can tell.

I’m happy that the corals seems to be growing well but it’s a shame that they seem to have hit a spurt just one month before I have to tear down the tank.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems to have kicked of in the tank. Over the last few weeks I’ve almost had to double the amount of 2 part that I dose.
The increased consumption kind of caught me of guard and the dkh dropped from 7,35 where I normally keep it, down to 6,72.
No negative effects from the drop from what I can tell.

I’m happy that the corals seems to be growing well but it’s a shame that they seem to have hit a spurt just one month before I have to tear down the tank.

That happened with mine too.
As I was to remove the tank, I kept my hands out of it more than usual and just let it be. This triggered a spur in growth as well.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happened with mine too.
As I was to remove the tank, I kept my hands out of it more than usual and just let it be. This triggered a spur in growth as well.
Yeah, that’s kind of what I figured to. I think that in combination with higher ph due to my new skimmer is to “blame”.

I have no idea what’s the best approach to the move regarding all encrusted pieces, do I cut them of or try to move the live rock submerged

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back