Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C96E3807-66CC-49A8-B371-092ADCB0E82C.png
I haven’t read through the 41 pages, but has anyone tried using a Mazzei injector? I’ve used one previously on a FW tank to inject CO2 and I would get a very fine mist.

When you need to inject air, oxygen, or ozone into water, a venturi injector is one of the best methods to use. Tests have shown that when installed properly, these injectors can transfer ozone into water with efficiencies as high as 99%. While typically used for ozone, air, or oxygen injection, venturi injectors are also compatible with liquids.

joeyvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the method last night for one hour with the luft pump and the lee wooden air stone. I got alot of micro and macro bubbles as well. This morning i was looking for the air check valve and i found co2 air diffuser with check valve in one unit in my storage. I tried it. Oh man. It produce 95% of these microbubbles with a few very large bubbles without any adjustment to the luft pump. I am so happy. :)) i font know how long this diffuser last. I think one can place this right below tunze pump in the DT without problem.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this now for several weeks, 3 hours per night. I have to say I'm amazed at the difference. My sand has never looked cleaner. My rocks look like I've been scrubbing them with a brush. My water is crystal clear. I'm sold.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read through the 41 pages, but has anyone tried using a Mazzei injector? I’ve used one previously on a FW tank to inject CO2 and I would get a very fine mist.

When you need to inject air, oxygen, or ozone into water, a venturi injector is one of the best methods to use. Tests have shown that when installed properly, these injectors can transfer ozone into water with efficiencies as high as 99%. While typically used for ozone, air, or oxygen injection, venturi injectors are also compatible with liquids.
That's not a bad idea. I have some co2 diffusers I may give a try

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would bigger bubbles help in anyway, i have just set up a overflow box and sump to my existing DT and have my air nipples on the overflow hooked up to a power head via venturi.
Once every few minutes i get a few spurts of tiny bubbles out of my power head as it sucks air from the overflow.
Would this be of benefit?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would bigger bubbles help in anyway, i have just set up a overflow box and sump to my existing DT and have my air nipples on the overflow hooked up to a power head via venturi.
Once every few minutes i get a few spurts of tiny bubbles out of my power head as it sucks air from the overflow.
The idea behind bubble scrubbing is to produce small nano bubbles. Larger bubbles can irritate your corals which is why most sumps have bubble traps.

I don't do bubble scrubbing but have been searching. Seems a lot of people put the air stone in their bubble trap section to allow the larger bubbles to rise to the surface so only the smallest bubbles return to the tank

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I mentioned the Mazzei several posts back. When I was using one for CO2 injection in my FW tank, it produced what looked like fog. I wish I still had it to try.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea behind bubble scrubbing is to produce small nano bubbles. Larger bubbles can irritate your corals which is why most sumps have bubble traps.

I don't do bubble scrubbing but have been searching. Seems a lot of people put the air stone in their bubble trap section to allow the larger bubbles to rise to the surface so only the smallest bubbles return to the tank

Is there data that shows larger bubbles irritate corals? When you think about ocean waves you get all different bubble sizes.

I thought the reason for the various up and down water motion in a sump was to remove bubbles because most people don't like to see bubbles in their DT.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there data that shows larger bubbles irritate corals? When you think about ocean waves you get all different bubble sizes.

I thought the reason for the various up and down water motion in a sump was to remove bubbles because most people don't like to see bubbles in their DT.

Actually directed large bubble stream, aimed at corals manifest irritation and bleaching at the point where the stream of large bubbles "bump" into the coral.

We believe it is a sign of irritation and presume that intermediate cavitation and large bubble irritation is the cause. But that assumption is anecdotal and just an observed affect.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually directed large bubble stream, aimed at corals manifest irritation and bleaching at the point where the stream of large bubbles "bump" into the coral.

We believe it is a sign of irritation and presume that intermediate cavitation and large bubble irritation is the cause. But that assumption is anecdotal and just an observed affect.

My one candy cane coral is right in the path of the bubbles. The bubbles appear to be small to medium in size. It has never looked better. It is growing new heads, and the existing heads are nice and large. I do have a large War coral and a couple of SPS corals also in the bubble path. All look very healthy and happy. Just my observation.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one candy cane coral is right in the path of the bubbles. The bubbles appear to be small to medium in size. It has never looked better. It is growing new heads, and the existing heads are nice and large. I do have a large War coral and a couple of SPS corals also in the bubble path. All look very healthy and happy. Just my observation.
I was meaning sps... LPS and Softies are more resilient. Definitely a veritable observation. :)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh outside air is lower in co2... we believe it is key in the success of this method.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You'd need more water flow (gph) and pressure (psi) with the mazzei...

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also just hearing about this method and have only read a few pages. But my first question is, for many years we've complained about our skimmers putting micro bubbles into our display, mostly new skimmers and we're always told to hang in there, and once it's broken in they'll be gone ! OH MY GOD,.....THERE GONE NOW,....WHEW !!!

So what's the difference between those nasty bubbles we all hate VS this "micro-bubble method" ?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also just hearing about this method and have only read a few pages. But my first question is, for many years we've complained about our skimmers putting micro bubbles into our display, mostly new skimmers and we're always told to hang in there, and once it's broken in they'll be gone ! OH MY GOD,.....THERE GONE NOW,....WHEW !!!

So what's the difference between those nasty bubbles we all hate VS this "micro-bubble method" ?

The micro bubble method is controlled by a timer, for most anyway. I used to do it and run the bubbles a couple times a day for 10-15 minutes. I would see the corals slime up but nothing more noticeable in the filter socks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back