Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the vid..
Im having an issue with low Ph too...
Which is why I am thinking about trying this..

Have you tried the usual methods of aeration with outside air?

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the usual methods of aeration with outside air?
This is actually my issue....
Winter..

My tank is basically in a dungeon.. No windows at all and kind of 'underground'.
In the summer I can leave the upstairs doors open and I get a flow of air down there.... But now its all closed up my pH has dropped to around 7.7 according to salifert... My corals aren't opening as much and I've got pretty brown sand...
All my other parameters are good.... As checked out by other members on the forum.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually my issue....
Winter..

My tank is basically in a dungeon.. No windows at all and kind of 'underground'.
In the summer I can leave the upstairs doors open and I get a flow of air down there.... But now its all closed up my pH has dropped to around 7.7 according to salifert... My corals aren't opening as much and I've got pretty brown sand...
All my other parameters are good.... As checked out by other members on the forum.

Either way you are going to have to use outside air if you want a pH boost (and don't want to use a CO2 scrubber). An airline through a hole to outside is the likely way with either the skimmer method (airline attaches to skimmer inlet) or the "bubbles in tank" method described in this thread. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way you are going to have to use outside air if you want a pH boost (and don't want to use a CO2 scrubber). An airline through a hole to outside is the likely way with either the skimmer method (airline attaches to skimmer inlet) or the "bubbles in tank" method described in this thread. :)

If one were going to do the scrubbing bubbles to try to raise pH, surely the source air would need to come from outside also - Winter or not, going to have to pull in cold air.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one were going to do the scrubbing bubbles to try to raise pH, surely the source air would need to come from outside also - Winter or not, going to have to pull in cold air.

Almost certainly. Using inside air it may actually lower pH, especially during the daytime high.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you don't have experience in water chemistry nor water processing.

But I'd put you in that category.

More insults, I wonder if you'd have said that to my face LOL. I find your explanations increasingly desperate and, frankly, foolish. 'Re-ionization of seawater' ..... really, really ..... technobabble. I think others beyond myself have pointed out the absurdity of what you are saying. Enough said on this topic. Suggest you refrain from personal insults mate.

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a scrubber...
I don't need to run the line from outside... Or am I reading that wrong?

I don't think I can run a line outside..
Abit complicated to explain the setup of building and the room.

Scott Campbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a scrubber...
I don't need to run the line from outside... Or am I reading that wrong?

I don't think I can run a line outside..
Abit complicated to explain the setup of building and the room.

With a CO2 scrubber you would not necessarily need to use outside air. The scrubber will remove the CO2. But the media can become expensive to use over the long haul and the higher the levels of CO2 in the air you are using, the faster the media will become exhausted. If you go that route - buy the media from a medical supply house in a big bucket. That is the most cost effective way.

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a CO2 scrubber you would not necessarily need to use outside air. The scrubber will remove the CO2. But the media can become expensive to use over the long haul and the higher the levels of CO2 in the air you are using, the faster the media will become exhausted. If you go that route - buy the media from a medical supply house in a big bucket. That is the most cost effective way.
Thanks...
Will look into it...

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. No issue with anemones.

They'll benefit with better oxygenation and removal of waste.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back