Micro-bubbles with HOB Skimmer

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started up another 75g from my 29g a week ago. Everything has been smooth so far my skimmer is putting out a lot of micro bubbles. I’ve been having the skimmer for 2 years but the pump went out on it so I replaced the pump. Is it just the new pump breaking in? Also can microbubbles cause damage to corals. I have a Monti cap, gonipora, a Yuma frag, a pavona frag, zoas, a hammer, a torch, a Duncan, and a bubble tip nem.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a HOB skimmer for 2 years on my old tank and had a similar issue. It would constantly put micro bubbles into my tank and even more so after feeding. I had nearly all the same corals and nem as you and didnt notice any adverse affects.
I would give it a week or two to settle in and if the problem persists i would try tweaking air input and water output.
I found that when i lowered the output of water which raised the water level in the skimmer, the bubbles reduced drastically. Of course this will produce a wetter skim and require more frequent emptying of skimmer cup but i didnt mind the extra work.

Back