• has to special instance larger tanks only. "nano's and such too small."

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alorrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*NEW* welcome to Malakai's Reef! i am the Father to this tank as it was sort of a gift to myself for a change of pace and a learning tool for my newborn child! starting this with him we have come to reef2reef many times for question tips and how too's and finally have one of our own!

12/22/2019 noticed something happening to my coral that wasn't showing up online but was figured to be pests eating!!!!!
12/23/2019 panicking as the rate is too fast it cannot just be something small....... maybe...no? cant be the emerald crab he hasn't been really out much....
12/24/2019 total panic with more coral plucking and no signs of who did so. I was in the eve rush off to familys and ran into the house with amino acids before leaving....... krabby........

RED CLAWED!!!!!! he had in one claw my montipora and another plucking with his mouth stuffed!@3!$$@%^!$^
we battled and i threw him in the back of my fluval 13.5 middle chamber and left to my eve dinner i was now soaked and late for.......

12/25/2019 DIY IDEA!!!!!!!!! "moni is already growing back and healing with its amino acid boost!"

built this!!!!!

taking a go pro session case cover from when it was delivered i used the acrylic top as a tank and made a caved rock and placed it in the go pro acrylic lid and then added sand and some flatter rocks to the outside.
using a suction cupped magnet on the inside of the micro tank and out side of the fluval nano tank we have this hanging tankception!

a tank in a tank!

now the crab instead of being in solitary confinement out of sight out of mind he is now front and center to be well fed and seen by all viewers who are willing to get close and look!

youtbue links to this build and my channel will be posted soon as our 2020 release video's are finished editing!and will add more photos here!

happy reefing!

Merry Christmas! And Happy Holidays to all!

20191225_131907.jpg 20191225_131928.jpg 20191225_131919.jpg 20191225_131946.jpg 20191225_133603.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks that the crab was picking at the coral, but I think it's amazing that you caught it! I only see my crabs once every 6 months, and that's usually because I move their favorite rock...

I've thought about doing something similar for my pistol shrimp. I see him only when I feed the tank, but it would be interesting to see the tunnels, kind of like an ant farm.

Did you make any modifications to allow for water flow within the smaller tank? I haven't figured out a good way to allow for sufficient water flow for oxygenation and waste removal that doesn't also let the critter escape.

OP
OP
A

alorrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the heat of the moment I had thought about water-flow and came up with a few idea's for adding a vinyl sticker outter than cutting the acrylic with 1mm slats 2 on the side 3 on the long face. "but this wouldn't allow good 360 visual. so i left it alone."

Being higher up in the water i found the surface blowing i have was actually causing an updraft in the mini tank pulling small food and nori out of his confinement!

This morning I found him escaping by riding that current "i caught him as he landed and scurried across the tank"
this seems like I am very lucky i seem to catch things as they happen! so I am making a type of acrylic lid and soon cutting the slats "now it seems more like a breeder IMO"

Back