Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why some people have to hassle others for trying and sharing their experiences. T he haters who are constantly hating is adding absolutely nothing to this conversation.

I don't believe I've seen anyone hasseled for posting an experience. We all welcome that as best I can tell.

Some of the criticism is for unjustified claims and "explanations". Those are not experiences, and when the claims or explanations fall short of reality (in anyone's opinion), it can be helpful to have a counterpoint so inexperienced folks do not just accept it as established fact and can see there is an alternative viewpoint.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They responded a few days ago. The price I got was 3400 U$.
Edit: There is another option: here. The one I got is the BT-50. I will receive it today (I hope). In this case you will need high pressure to make the bubbles so a high-head pump is necessary. The one I am planning to use is a diaphragm washdown pump.

I am interested to see how your set-up plays out. Keep us posted1. Be careful with the O2 tank, don't have a leak near an ignition source like an electric spark!

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, for all the naysayers. This is my red planet with 24 hrs of micro bubbles.

Before
b54a8b2a82b6468ee07a1de08b3c7dcd.jpg

24 hrs After
443be65da651041ed93a40d90ceb08dc.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbyist are for decades the entrepreneurs in this hobby, many good things came forward out of this.
Bubbling is one of them.
When enough hobbyist try and give feedback on bubbling the evolution of bubbling will be come a fact.
I remember 50 years ago that we looked to the skimmers made by some German entrepreneurs, a few years later it was a fact and as of today it still is.
Not a whole lot of ppl had so much critique as we have now, you just went home and tried this it yourself.
Now days many ppl make it like this..............

12938165_1533630949983956_3486843015173183223_n.png

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT make one like this,
IMAG0241.jpg

It is closed ended wood airstone sits inside, this attaches to your main pump. With this method there are TOO many bubbles being sucked into the pump, causing the pump too eventually lose pressure. Controlling the bubbles with a valve did not work, as the lower the air pressure went, the air would make its way out of the larger openings causing bigger bubbles. Dont design it like this.

2 other methods ive seen is placing the airstone in a pvc piped attached to a pump, and the pump naturally just pushes the bubbles out fast enough to give you super small bubble consistency.

Another design envolves using a large pvc pipe like a vortex and sucking in air through the other end, only issue im running into with this build, is the material in the united states is way different from the video I've seen. Bending and cutting 2" PVC end caps is a pain, and doesn't give the same looking angles.

I did not read any of the pages before this, so forgive me if someone already postes similar builds.

Last edited by a moderator:

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people trying too look past all the nonsense of people wanting NASA to deliver proof that this works..and are looking for ways to micro bubble,

DONT make one like this,
IMAG0241.jpg

It is closed ended wood airstone sits inside, this attaches to your main pump. With this method there are TOO many bubbles being sucked into the pump, causing the pump too eventually lose pressure. Controlling the bubbles with a valve did not work, as the lower the air pressure went, the air would make its way out of the larger openings causing bigger bubbles. Dont design it like this.

2 other methods ive seen is placing the airstone in a pvc piped attached to a pump, and the pump naturally just pushes the bubbles out fast enough to give you super small bubble consistency.

Another design envolves using a large pvc pipe like a vortex and sucking in air through the other end, only issue im running into with this build, is the material in the united states is way different from the video I've seen. Bending and cutting 2" PVC end caps is a pain in the ***, and doesn't give the same looking angles.

I did not read any of the pages before this, so forgive me if someone already postes similar builds. Didnt want to read through 20 pages of chalk slinging.

Some of the people that you are referring that want NASA to deliver proof are exactly the people you would want to get attention if you are about to test an idea in your aquarium. They are the ones that are trying to help to validate it and trying to separate what is hype from what is likely to be true.
And if they are still posting in this thread helping people to understand the chemistry, physics and biology behind it is likely because they believe there is some merit to the idea.
@Cruz_Arias and @Squamosa did a great job so far getting more people interested in trying this and sharing their experiences.
@Thales @Lasse and @Randy Holmes-Farley spent a lot of time trying to bring up possible problems this could cause, and bringing expectations to a more realistic level.
All of them want the same thing, they want this to work, they want to know what this technique really do to your tank, and they want to avoid losses.

Update: I got the nozzle and the pump, now I realize I need a 12v 18-20amp power source for the pump. I am thinking to use one of those fast battery chargers, but I am not sure if it would work. Any ideas?

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's please move past the "conflict" and focus on what we DO know and how we can prove hypothesis. There are really intelligent folks involved in this discussion, folks that are educated in study design and simply reading scientific studies and pulling out practical information.

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the people that you are referring that want NASA to deliver proof are exactly the people you would want to get attention if you are about to test an idea in your aquarium. They are the ones that are trying to help to validate it and trying to separate what is hype from what is likely to be true.
And if they are still posting in this thread helping people to understand the chemistry, physics and biology behind it is likely because they believe there is some merit to the idea.
@Cruz_Arias and @Squamosa did a great job so far getting more people interested in trying this and sharing their experiences.
@Thales @Lasse and @Randy Holmes-Farley spent a lot of time trying to bring up possible problems this could cause, and bringing expectations to a more realistic level.
All of them want the same thing, they want this to work, they want to know what this technique really do to your tank, and they want to avoid losses.

Update: I got the nozzle and the pump, now I realize I need a 12v 18-20amp power source for the pump. I am thinking to use one of those fast battery chargers, but I am not sure if it would work. Any ideas?

No, @Cruz_Arias @Squamosa @Lasse and one other person gave EXACT details and examples of why this works in our systems.

You and Thales seem to want all these little extra tid bits of exspensive information that would literally cost a lot of time and money as far as Its concerned. I dont see either of you doing anything other than asking other people to spend time and effort proving something, i dont see either of you jumping down Red Sea's throat as to whats in Reef Energy A&B and proof that our corals even utilize the amounts of it we put in our tanks, or any other "reef helper" so to speak.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, @Cruz_Arias @Squamosa @Lasse and one other person gave EXACT details and examples of why this works in our systems.

You and Thales seem to want all these little extra tid bits of exspensive information that would literally cost a lot of time and money as far as Its concerned. I dont see either of you doing anything other than asking other people to spend time and effort proving something, i dont see either of you jumping down Red Sea's throat as to whats in Reef Energy A&B and proof that our corals even utilize the amounts of it we put in our tanks, or any other "reef helper" so to speak.

It wouldn't be hard to get useful data, and to make it seem like folks are asking for the world is just exaggeration. A simple before and after measurement or picture would be very helpful. That isn't what is generally being posted to show effects. Growth over time doesn't really show anything if you do not know the growth without bubbling. All one needs to show is what exactly changed with bubbling. That is the only way one can evaluate whether the method is useful and how it compares to other methods trying to accomplish the same thing (like aeration by skimmer vs aeration by bubbles).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The "why" it works is getting a bit ahead of ourselves (IMO), and is the root of the problem in this thread as much of that "why" discussion is quite misleading. Some of it is just plain wrong, and some is showing science data on tiny stable nanobubbles, which no one has shown are being generated in most reef tanks.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but what is a rainbow BTA? I'm reading this thread because I recently changed from fresh to salt and in fresh using a air stone was a good thing. ( or sponge) and since I still have this equipment if I can use it to good use on the salt tank why not.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think using a charger is going to work and that's a lot of amps for a charger. If you google "12v 20amp power supply" you'll find what you're looking for.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a whole bunch of unsubstantiated stuff :D

From my days as a Zeohead!
IMG_3793.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back