Micro Tanks - Give me some ideas!

AlyciaMarie

Official R2R Hype Girl
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Messages
5,756
Reaction score
15,407
Location
Chattanooga
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some ideas regarding my new micro reef!

Yesterday, I was gifted this PNW Micro Reef-Ready Tank. It comes in at a whopping 1/3rd of a gallon (40 oz if you want to be more specific), so it's just a baby! It's going to hold very little, but I would love some input. I don't have any expectation of what is or isn't safe or acceptable to keep in it because I have never seen a tank this small! It may not be wise to put anything in it at all. I'm open to any suggestions, recommendations, and ideas.

For anyone with experience owning a tank this small, or even if you've seen one or know someone with one, what are some of the things you've seen them "stocked" with? If you've got pictures, even better! Drop them in the comments.

Check out my tank thread to see more specifics on this little guy ---> Alycia's 40oz Micro Reef-Ready - Pretty-in-Pico

Screen Shot 2024-06-28 at 11.12.23 AM.png
 
Definitely need some Zoas, possibly a purple polyp turbinaria. A single astrea and hermit. Are you adding sand? Is live rock a possibility? Can’t wait to see more
 
Definitely need some Zoas, possibly a purple polyp turbinaria. A single astrea and hermit. Are you adding sand? Is live rock a possibility? Can’t wait to see more
We will likely add sand, but rock is debatable. If we did do rock, it would be a very small piece. The height of the display tank is half the height of an average 16 oz water bottle.
 
We have some spare rock I can always crush into smaller pieces to give a small aquascape.
 
I would go to your lfs, buy some rock rubble and ask them to cut down a frag plug with a mushroom and then one with a couple zoas you like and call it a day. I would skip anything non coral. Too much bio load imo.
 
6F2D5FBF-2A8A-4D27-8C94-548462597211.jpeg

We’ve been running various PNW micro tanks a couple years now. Super easy to maintain with ocean farmed rock.
 
Last edited:
I need some ideas regarding my new micro reef!

Yesterday, I was gifted this PNW Micro Reef-Ready Tank. It comes in at a whopping 1/3rd of a gallon (40 oz if you want to be more specific), so it's just a baby! It's going to hold very little, but I would love some input. I don't have any expectation of what is or isn't safe or acceptable to keep in it because I have never seen a tank this small! It may not be wise to put anything in it at all. I'm open to any suggestions, recommendations, and ideas.

For anyone with experience owning a tank this small, or even if you've seen one or know someone with one, what are some of the things you've seen them "stocked" with? If you've got pictures, even better! Drop them in the comments.

Check out my tank thread to see more specifics on this little guy ---> Alycia's 40oz Micro Reef-Ready - Pretty-in-Pico

Screen Shot 2024-06-28 at 11.12.23 AM.png
Wasn't there a micro reef challenge on this forum a few years ago? Where a dozen members tried to keep one running for a year? Only two succeeded though.


Edit: found it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-thread-unoffical-mini-complete-tank-contest.862907/
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new