Microbacter 7 ? dino help

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Microbacter 7 help with dinos? I dont have a bad case, but my sand turns brown during the day, and at night it goes away. Im also really low on nutrients, Nitrate 2, Phos 0. Ive seen Microbacter 7 come up in a lot of thread searches, but on the website for it, it says "Rapid reduction of organic carbon, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate." I thought the key was to raise the nitrates and phos, so how does it help? I dont want to add anything to my tank thats going to make it worse.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helped with mine...twice. in conjunction with 20hr/day blackout for 3 days. Stopped doing large weekly water changes and started feeding everyday. Has not returned.

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is a mix of beneficial bacteria. Dosing it to the tank will not raise your nitrate and phosphate. Brightwell sells NeoNitro and NeoPhos which can be used to increase your nutrients. Or just over feed your tank, preferably with pellets or a dried fish food. Dried foods contain more phosphate than frozen foods..

And/or black out the tank and run a UV sterilizer on the tank.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is a mix of beneficial bacteria. Dosing it to the tank will not raise your nitrate and phosphate. Brightwell sells NeoNitro and NeoPhos which can be used to increase your nutrients. Or just over feed your tank, preferably with pellets or a dried fish food. Dried foods contain more phosphate than frozen foods..

And/or black out the tank and run a UV sterilizer on the tank.
The premise is to use it to outcompete the dinos for available nutrients in the low nutrient environment that dinos thrive. While it's not made for that whatever combination of bacteria that's in there seem to anecdotally work much better than using the other methods alone (raising nutrients, UV and blackouts) or other bottled bacteria (ever from Brightwell).

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The premise is to use it to outcompete the dinos for available nutrients in the low nutrient environment that dinos thrive. While it's not made for that whatever combination of bacteria that's in there seem to anecdotally work much better than using the other methods alone (raising nutrients, UV and blackouts) or other bottled bacteria (ever from Brightwell).
I agree with you, MB7 is great and can be used to out compete dinos and other pests. I have used it for that in the past myself. However, not when I was at a phosphate reading of zero. My thought was to get the phosphate level up first and then try to out compete the dinos with MB7.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, MB7 is great and can be used to out compete dinos and other pests. I have used it for that in the past myself. However, not when I was at a phosphate reading of zero. My thought was to get the phosphate level up first and then try to out compete the dinos with MB7.
I agree if you use it use it in conjunction with raising nutrients and the other methods. I don't think it's a miracle worker by any stretch, I just think it helped beat it faster than just doing the other methods.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U sure its dinos? The low nutrient reading doesn't necessarily mean you have dinos. It just means whatever is growing on that sand has absorbed all the nutrients. If not really dinos, dirtier water may make the situation worse.

Also, a "nutrient competition" based treatment like mc7 has anti-synergy with "sterilization" based treatments like UV. Combining everything actually makes things less effective than sticking to 1 + patience.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it acts like dinos, Its brown, and it goes away at night. Comes back after the lights have been on a few hours the next day, and stays till night, then goes away again. Its brown on the sand, but it doesn't have the air bubbles in it like Ive seen on other dino threads. Tank just turned a year old in Jan.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back