Microscope

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like this suffice for disease identification? I know it’s cheap, but with any luck it won’t be needed more than a few times.
You link isn't working

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why copying the link doesn’t work in my 1st post.

That actually is too high in magnification. You want a dissecting scope that can view from 20x to perhaps 120x
I do most of my work at around 40 to 80x
I found a nice lens that clips onto my iPhone.
Jay

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That actually is too high in magnification. You want a dissecting scope that can view from 20x to perhaps 120x
I do most of my work at around 40 to 80x
I found a nice lens that clips onto my iPhone.
Jay
What are you viewing at 20x? You need 400 to ID dino strains. I bought mine for dinos but if you have some suggestions of other stuff that I can view, please share. I also look at my phyto cultures and check for contamination also at 400x.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sometimes pick up a nice used Nikon Alphaphot-2 for $200-$250 if you are planning to spend that amount and use it often. These are/used-to-be required for medical students to purchase then sold off a year or two later. They have decent objectives including a 4x.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you viewing at 20x? You need 400 to ID dino strains. I bought mine for dinos but if you have some suggestions of other stuff that I can view, please share. I also look at my phyto cultures and check for contamination also at 400x.
OP is looking for something for disease I'm assuming on, imbedded, or in the fish. High power and slides are not desirable for dissection. Though what was linked could be used for very thinly sliced cell samples.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can sometimes pick up a nice used Nikon Alphaphot-2 for $200-$250 if you are planning to spend that amount and use it often. These are/used-to-be required for medical students to purchase then sold off a year or two later. They have decent objectives including a 4x.
I scoured ebay for a month for one when I was in the market. They go really quick. Mine has a solid mechanical stage and the objectives offer a nice and clean image, however the fine focus is not fine enough. The next model up had a finer focus for an extra $50. I wish I had sprung for it.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is looking for something for disease I'm assuming on, imbedded, or in the fish. High power and slides are not desirable for dissection. Though what was linked could be used for very thinly sliced cell samples.
Yep. Hippo tang was showing symptoms of flukes, did FW dip and am curious to see what all the white specs that fell off are. Curiosity more than anything. If I can find something for
$60-$80 bucks that will suffice, I’ll do it. I’m not gonna spend 100’s of dollars.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was posted in the fish disease forum. For metazoans, you need something lower power.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back