Microscope

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question. And maybe a brand, model and price point suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm looking as well. But I just keep putting it off.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone who does this for a living will chime in, but until then here’s my take. It’s been a few years, but a friend bought one of these (link below) in the 40x to 1000x range. We then compared it to a lower end Zeiss I have that retails closer to $1000 and frankly the difference was minimal, and they have an updated version on sale for under $80. If you want stereo which is nice, the model there is a bit more than $200 and a more fair comparison to the Zeiss. The image isn’t as crisp as the $50k Leica I use at work, but it is surprisingly good. I hate cheap tools with a passion, but was surprised at how good cheap scopes have gotten for hobbyist uses.

https://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-b...wJeCmhBCsEZoBaUNIocBnv5OgciSfyAMaAhH0EALw_wcB

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an amscope. Pretty nice looking images. After i found out they were ostreopsis i haven't used the scope again. But i did buy a uc sterilizer to kill them 2 times. First i bought a cheap one and it worked for 95% of them. I liked it so much that i bought a big 90watt ho lifegard. So id suggest just getting a cheap uv sterilizer if its for dinos. If not this has been great amscope m150c

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm going to jump in and order one.

I already have a PAR meter and a refractometer, I might as well have another tool I rarely use! BTW, I use a simple 'calibrated' hydrometer and the refractometer sits in it's case on the shelf. The last time I used it was to calibrate the hydrometer for the 5 annual test. It tested perfect, the same 0.005 too low that it has been since I got it new. That last test was a few years ago. I wonder if the refractometer still works... but it probably needs to be re-calibrated... again! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back