Mid-way cycle

Dmccahon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
First post on here and wish I had came across this forum when I first built my tank around 2 weeks ago!! An abundance of helpful tips/information which would have come in handy. I have just started out on my first marine tank, although we had a fresh water tank growing up so this is a bit new to me. I have a 14gallon / 64 Litre tank with some live rock and more or less a pretty basic setup with wave maker and airpump/airstone combination.

Having dipping in and out of our local fishkeepers they recommended we cycle with the red sea reef mature starter kit, which I had been planning this post to be about as I had seen much changes until today! We are currently on Day 11 of the programme, although have decided not to add the cleanup crew at this point at it doesnt seem like there is actually anything to cleanup. We haven't had the bacteria bloom others have saw nor any algae growth which had me a little concerned at first, but our tank may just be taking it slow.

The temperature has been a stable 25.2 degrees and salinity has been somewhat stable although pH seems to be fluctuating between 8 and 8.4 - is this normal? Ive made a spreadsheet just to track the readings, ive been using a refractometer and API Saltwater master test kit for the readings. View only access link for spreadsheet below, is there anything of the readings unexpected?

Currently undecided for what fish or coral to put in, happy for any suggestions :)

Thanks!

David

131709657_398676201344420_3530408730959095039_n.jpg

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so cycling goes like this.

add water, wait for ammonia to hit at least 4ppm. Then add bacteria, wait for nitrates to hit near 40ppm, 50% water change. Add clean up crew. Api test kit will tell you there’s ammonia even though there isn’t so be aware those tests are crap. Fish can go in when nitrates are bellow 10ppm. Which should be shortly after your 50% water change.

OP
OP
D

Dmccahon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so cycling goes like this.

add water, wait for ammonia to hit at least 4ppm. Then add bacteria, wait for nitrates to hit near 40ppm, 50% water change. Add clean up crew. Api test kit will tell you there’s ammonia even though there isn’t so be aware those tests are crap. Fish can go in when nitrates are bellow 10ppm. Which should be shortly after your 50% water change.

Hey - so following the red sea reef mature starter kits guide isn't hitting the 4pmm of ammonia, should I be adding either pure ammonia or ghost feeding to try get the ammonia up? Or is it just a waiting game and it'll eventually get there?

If API testing kit is crap - what do you suggest?

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can add some ammonia yourself or ghost feed. Hanna makes awesome test kits but in my opinion you don’t need to spend the money once your cycle is done on any ammonia tests. The api kit will show you what you need to know for ammonia. After that you need to monitor your calcium phosphates and alkalinity. Those are the Hanna tests worth buying. Have you added the turbo strat product? Or red seas bacteria yet?

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For livestock you’ll want to start with CUC (various snails) if you plan on doing coral I’d stay away from hermits or any crabs. Fish slowly. So 1 clown first. After about a month you can add another clown (2 max). Corals for beginners are torch corals, zoas and maybe a candy cane. Those are what I’ve got in my tank and everyone is happy. Gl.

OP
OP
D

Dmccahon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing ive added to the tank so far is the chemicals provided in the starter kit - bacto start, nitro bac, NOPO and KH Coraline Gro and Red Seas coral pro salt.

Clown fish was a thought although I had thought it was best to introduce as pairs, or does it not overly matter?

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the Red Sea kit so forgive me. Clowns should in my opinion be introduced 1 first to take dominance of the tank. Then a smaller one after the first clown has grown a bit. They can be put in as pairs. If they are already paired. Otherwise there will be fighting to get dominance. Then if you are lucky they will pair. But after the battle one is always the victor. And it doesn’t automatically mean they will pair. Clowns change sex during this process.

Back